Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a cam and oil pump

staticstato

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
Hey guys I'm new here, first post actually

I've got a WK statesman 5.7l thats just clicked over 165k
I'm having issues with extreamly noisy cold starts followed by "check oil" warnings on the dash
also the occasional ticking while driving, I'm assuming a noisy lifter.

Ive tried thin oils 3w-30 and thick 15w-50 and while the thicker oil helped the problem for a bit, its now recently become a lot worse

I got a quote off holden for around $4000 to replace cam and lifters and possible oil pump as they suggested.

I'm quite able to install the parts meself, as I have a mechanic mate that has hes own workshop

Now for the questions

My WK has 165k on the clock

it currently has a maffless tune, pacemaker extracters (or headers) I'm not sure on the difference. and a 2.5 inch exhaust.

What brand and grind cam should I purchase, I like the lumpy sound and would be happy to pick up a high stall later down the track.

What size oil pump should I get. I've seen mey high flow pumps on ebay for around $200.

Thanks in advance.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Cam is really up to you, you just need to pick from something low- 220's, mid-230's, high-240's duration range depending what you want from it

I'd have a Melling oil pump no questions, also lifters look at Comp 850's or Morel