Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a Captiva advice.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Don’t know if anyone looks here, but I’ll post my question anyway.

My son rang today, and is looking at a 2016 era diesel AWD Captiva, Mitsi Outlander or Territory to replace his 2015 Kia Sportage which is now too small for his family needs.
He is looking for something with less than 100Km, and less than $30K.
Trade-in for Kia, I don’t know what he will be offered, $10K ……. ??

I have no knowledge about an Outlander.

I suggested give the Captiva a miss because they are a POS. When asked why, I couldn’t give a reason apart from 10 years ago I sat in one, didn’t drive it, but my eyes and bum told me I didn’t want it. And there must be a good reason that they are known as a Craptiva.

Tried to tell him that he does not need AWD as he won’t be towing anything, and that a turbo diesel is not what the adverts and gurus crack it up to be. More maintenance and expense to gain an advantage of $3 > $4 less in fuel per 100km.

I am trying to steer him towards a SZ petrol RWD Territory, ( mainly because we have a 2010 SY2, and I think is a great wagon/SUV.)
The Barra engine is bulletproof, parts are readily available new or second-hand, plenty of room inside, fuel consumption on a trip generally around 9, and built in Oz. Rear suspension bushes can be suss, but not a major headbang to replace them. ZF gearbox very dependant on how good the heat exchanger is, and how often the coolant is changed.

Am I on the right track about the Captiva ..… better left alone, and recommending the Territory.

Thoughts, please ?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I haven't owned either of them but I don't think I would buy a diesel Captiva. I've known a few Captiva owners and they all had issues so if I was buying one I'd get the alloytec version because they're easier to work on at home. Most people seem to have a love hate relationship with their Territories as well. They love them when they're running and hate them when they won't start...
I'd rather buy a well maintained diesel Santa Fe. The 2.2 Turbo Diesel is great if well maintained. I don't know much about the Outlander.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
^^^ On the ball.

Can tell your son to watch any of the John Cadogan videos about them (he also recommends the Santa Fe), or just mention they come out of the old Daewoo factory. Somebody I work with had a diesel Captiva on lease and had no end of troubles with it. The transmission was replaced at least twice under warranty and he couldn't wait to get rid of the thing. The week before he went to trade it in it backfired through the intake and blew the intake manifold to pieces. I vaguely also remember him talking about having the turbo replaced under warranty or just having trouble with it. This was only last year too.

Find it odd that he's interested a Captiva when there are so many similar and better Korean and Japanese cars out there.

Found this - https://www.facebook.com/groups/125589994192553/

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
@Calaber is a Captiva owner, but not sure if petrol or diesel.

@losh1971 's Mrs has a recent model Outlander.

We have an '07 Outlander (since new) as the family bus. Currently has 183,xxx kms on it. No problems at all except for a recall re trans lockout switch many years ago.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
We have a 2015 Outlander, it's fine for what it is. No issues so far. CVT takes some getting used too. Plenty of room in the boot, same with the back seat. Wife likes it. I prefer to drive the ute as it has a lot more stick and normal trans. Having said that if you drive in sports mode the trans is a lot easier to use.
Captivas have problems with the heater cores bursting. Lucky for the bro in law it burst while still under warranty.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Some good points above there. Thanks.
He probably doesn't know anything about the Captiva, except it has a Holden badge, which used to mean something. He had a new 2001 V6 Rodeo which should have died from abuse and neglect, but didn't.
I will suggest JCs videos ( I enjoy his rants) and the FB site for opinions.
Santa Fe ….. hmmmm … Kia Sorento. Both worth a look, but could be above the budget. Maybe a trade up from Sportage to Sorento ….. ??? :cool:

I'm a bit biased with the Territory. 10 years, 110Km. Rear suspension bushes at 60Km, deleted the heat exchanger for a transmission cooler, and a master window switch. Shouldn't be too confident, something could fall off tomorrow, :D or, now that we can travel, time to see if the Monaro still works. The furtherest it has been for nearly 2 months is out of the garage for a vacuuming. :(

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
He had a new 2001 V6 Rodeo which should have died from abuse and neglect, but didn't.

Can't comment on the ones with GM engines, but Isuzu stuff is really good and goes forever.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
So many issues with Captiva's it's not even funny. About 18 months ago i was beginning to reverse out of a car park when a woman in a captiva pulled up behind me and just sat there (her intent was to reverse into a carpark next to me). After a couple of minutes I got out of the car to see what was going on. She'd put it into reverse and lost all drive - no forward of reverse gears. Started it and shut it down a couple of times then it started driving again.

No way I'd be going with one, or any car with strong european influence for that matter. I'd spend a little more and get something reliable, with a good reputation and good resale. I'd go Toyota for comfort, reliability and performance (at additional initial outlay). Isuzu are also good for reliability and are cheaper but you'll generally sacrifice comfort and features. Personally I don't have much good to say about Mitsubishi's, but some people have luck with them (plenty don't).

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
CVT takes some getting used too.

A CVT would be a fail for me. No particular reason, apart from a reputation for problems and expense, things from the past which may not apply anymore. I don't know how true this now, but I was told that if a Nissan CVT failed, it was a case of bin it and buy a new gearbox.

So many issues with Captiva's it's not even funny.

That is basically what I told him, but couldn't be specific about any one issue. Just said that they have a bad reputation for reliability, and Holden couldn't give a stuff about them as they were a Daewoo with no Australian history or expectations.

Can't comment on the ones with GM engines, but Isuzu stuff is really good and goes forever.
Yes, it was 3.5 Isuzu. Noisy and thirsty, but it did keep running when no oil showed on the dipstick. He copped a serve from me about that.

He is not all that up to speed with car reputations, and has relied on my guidance in the past on what is 'a good idea'.
The Sportage has been faultless, but is now too small.
A Toyota Kluger is possibly too big. I have hired a Kluger/Highlander twice for transporting 4 adults and luggage in NZ. Very impressed, but too big for me as a daily.
I going to investigate Sorentos on the web. Kia may be more generous on trading a Sportage. :rolleyes:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Big decision made, and not Captiva, pleased about that.

Bit disappointed that it was not a RWD petrol Terri, he looked at one, but it was too expensive, and he had his mind set on a diesel something, (better fuel consumption propaganda) and he has spent time looking at all things SUV on Carsales, ringing me asking opinions and tech questions that I had to admit I knew nothing about, but was happy to investigate for him, etc, and settled on a AWD turbo diesel Sorento, which still has 3 years factory warranty left, and fitted within the budget.

I was also pleased that he resisted the ‘sales urgency’ by car yards, weekend special only, somebody is coming to look at this car today and they will likely buy it because it is a good price, and other buy now incentives. He thought that the current travel and spending restrictions may have worked in his favour, but not to be. If they were not willing to negotiate a change-over price, he walked.

So, he is back in a Kia, and I hope, for his sake and my peace of mind, that the Sorento will be as reliable as the Sportage.

Thanks to those who responded to my question.