Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

buying a car currently registered in another state

rob_phill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
I have recently moved to NSW, and am looking at buying a car that is currently registered in the ACT.

The car (not a commodore :() is a 2000 model VW golf

what are the steps I need to go through to ensure everything goes smoothly? If I recall correctly an ACT roadworth cert will not be valid, and I will need to obtain one of these from a NSW mechanic. does anyone know if it will need to be inspected by the RTA?
I am sure this has been asked before but i am posting from a phone and can't use the search function well.

Has anyone been through this before?

Cheers for any advice.

Rob

VEV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina 6L
I have recently moved to NSW, and am looking at buying a car that is currently registered in the ACT.

The car (not a commodore :() is a 2000 model VW golf

what are the steps I need to go through to ensure everything goes smoothly? If I recall correctly an ACT roadworth cert will not be valid, and I will need to obtain one of these from a NSW mechanic. does anyone know if it will need to be inspected by the RTA?
I am sure this has been asked before but i am posting from a phone and can't use the search function well.

Has anyone been through this before?

Cheers for any advice.

Rob

You need a Blue Slip. It's just like getting a rego check Pink Slip except they check all the numbers on the car also. It basically just puts the car into the NSW system. It isn't hard if the car is roadworthy. Ask around your area for mechanics that perform Blue Slips. Not all do. Then you take that to the motor registry and if the mechanic has done his job right, your car should show up on the system.

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
it will need a blue slip. i know as my ss had sa rego then i had to blue slip it in nsw.
^beat me too it