Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a car from interstate

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Anyone got some experience or advice when it comes to buying a car from interstate?

I'm looking for a VZ plated Cross 8 or a 6ltr SS Crewman.

They are slim pickings here in WA. If I'm going to get what I'd like, I may have to buy sight unseen from over East. Obvious risks with what you get, but they are a bit of a collectos item almost.

Not many at a dealer. Most Private. I'm told a dealer here in WA can get a car form over east through their networks. An option I will follow up on with someone we know at a dealer.

I know someone else here in WA with a car transport business I'll ask for advice also.

In particular:
• managing paper work.
• Organising delivery to transport yard.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I have often thought of a Crewman but cannot fit it in the garage so I have stuck with the old workhorse VZ wagon and box trailer.

Paperwork is easy with the internet and the telephone.
As to quality, I would suggest may be pay a fee to have the vehicle professionally inspected on the east so you have a reasonable chance of receiving what you pay for.
If for instance you were to find one on the Sunshine Coast or close I would be happy to inspect it then have it inspected professionally with only out of pocket expenses applicable.
I am talking RACQ or my own trusted mechanic, not the bastards I took my car to last week for a tyre rotate.
Transport should not be a problem and again the net and phone are your friend, but I would advise insuring the vehicle for the trip at least.
While this may cost extra it would be well worth it as most Transport Companies do not cover goods in transit even though they may tell you otherwise.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Anyone got some experience or advice when it comes to buying a car from interstate?

They are slim pickings here in WA. If I'm going to get what I'd like, I may have to buy sight unseen from over East. Obvious risks with what you get, but they are a bit of a collectos item almost.

Not many at a dealer. Most Private. I'm told a dealer here in WA can get a car form over east through their networks. An option I will follow up on with someone we know at a dealer.

I know someone else here in WA with a car transport business I'll ask for advice also.

In particular:
• managing paper work.

we sold our Prado(Adelaide) to a guy in WA after getting quotes etc he flew over and drove back as it was cheaper he said(all pre covid of course) than on truck or rail. He did get an inspection done buy some mob before he flew over, they took 1/2hr to look over car and test drive.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
we sold our Prado(Adelaide) to a guy in WA after getting quotes etc he flew over and drove back as it was cheaper he said(all pre covid of course) than on truck or rail. He did get an inspection done buy some mob before he flew over, they took 1/2hr to look over car and test drive.

Probably a good idea pre covid but maybe not now.
Need to do the due diligence on that idea.
Just heard a fact yesterday from a realitive
Company had to get an employee from Cairns to Brisbane and the flight was over $900 and 34 hours with lots of stops, so they worked out it was cheaper to hire a car and let him drive back.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

In particular:
• managing paper work.

How far you looking to buy from ?

Shouldn't be that hard,
Just like buying a car locally I would of thought,
Roadworthy, Sale, drive it home,
but transfer to your home state, that could be a bit different.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
There just isn’t a lot of these things around.

WA is a limited market for them.

Just found a beaut Cross8 in Melbourne at a dealer, which means I might be able to work with a local dealer to get the car here. Good k’s. Sunroof I’m iffy on. (Leaks) tidy.

I’ve been looking for a year now. Just about got what I need. Swap the good stuff over. Then sell my current Crewman. Drop into engine refresh or gearbox conversion.

Please keep the advice coming.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
How far you looking to buy from ?

Shouldn't be that hard,
Just like buying a car locally I would of thought,
Roadworthy, Sale, drive it home,
but transfer to your home state, that could be a bit different.

Having been looking for a year, I’ll get one from the Torres Straight Islands if I have to. Would draw the line at Tassie though.

It would need a solid detail if it came from Tassie. Get all the North Coast Ginger out of it.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Noticed a few going for $25-30k
Considering their new price, that’s not a whole lot of depreciation.

Looking to spend $10-15k

One of you spotted a positive one in Port Stevens. Still for sale

Is online scanned transfer documents and signatures an acceptable thing, or do original documents have to be posted via express post back and forth the country?

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also, with transport, is it acceptable for the owner to drop the car to a company once docs and payment and insurance is organised?