Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a car --> Making a Reciept

spirto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice II
hey,

In most cases any hand written reciept wouldn't be seen as a legal document.
I usually have them typed out on computer printed four times(two for a backup incase of mistakes at the sale). Fill out one for you, and one for the Seller.

I usually include the following.

I ........................... have purchased vehicle mentioned within this document below from ........................

Purchaser:
Name:
Drivers Licence:
Date/Time:

Seller:
Name:
Drivers Licence:
Date/Time:

Vehicle Details:
Rego:
VIN Number:

I the Purchaser have paid with:
Bank Cheque: ................
Cash (value of)..............
Direct bank deposit..........

I the Purchaser have paid this amount "in full" (protects you from them calling the cops saying they only got a deposit etc)
Buyers Signature:

Sellers Signature:

That's it in a nutshell, if you are selling you would add a bit about condition, bought as seen, etc etc. The Transfer Papers should be more than enough for transfer purposes, it has the section for transfer to you, from etc.

Thanks

clubsport_replica

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt clubsport replica
wow sounds odd that over in w.a wether the car is reg or unregoed all that is needed is the transfer papers to be provided as proof of new ownership... i just went through this with the wa dep of infrastructure and planning due to purchasing unlic vq stato..

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
when i bought my bike i just got my name, his name, license numbers addresses and dates etc,

the agreement was i bought the bike for 5g, but paid 4,500 upfront than paid the extra 500 when he fronted up with the accessories and papers,

so when i transferred the rego, i got a good guy and he just ran it through as 4500 instead of 5g so i paid a lil less in transfer costs

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Ive sold two cars recently, without rwcs.

I just gave the buyers a handwritten receipt saying I sold the car(colour and model), with my name and address and seller's name(+their licence no), the cars vin no and engine no.

Both had no troubles getting the vehicles past vicroads again.

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
hey,

In most cases any hand written reciept wouldn't be seen as a legal document...

Thanks

i dont understand why it makes a difference if its written or typed - hand written documents can be legally binding

Reaction score
Members Ride
00' WH Stato LS1 A4
I had a hand written receipt(for deposit) -- and a small printed receipt detailing that we had exchanged funds for purchase of the car.

Paid via bank check, He signed the rego papers (thats all, just a signature :p)

So i ended up transferring rego at $16k instead of $18K :p

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
you can do a hand writting document to sell your car, ive got mine rego'd on one and so will my brother soon, just make sure the engine matches the plates on the vechile or youll need another receipt for that too.

Deltak

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
"Free and Clear of all Debts"

Your comment on adding the statement "Free and Clear of all Debts" is partially correct:-
"Also... a written receipt won't protect you if there is finance owing on the car...

It's not a legal document so the people who the money is owed to will not care...

You could take the matter to court and probably win on the grounds the seller was dishonest... but that's about it...

You would need a written agreement with the party that the money is owed to, then you would be fine."

The Reciept is a legal document (contract law) between you and the seller(ie both signed etc). If there is money still owing on the vehicle, you can sue the seller for the return of your money.

You are correct that it does not affect the people money is owed to, but it will get your money back -eventually.

I know of one case ( in the 70's) where the a bloke was the seventh owner of a car (Lotus Europa) and a finace company repossed the vehicle. It seems that the second owner had sold it on, still owing money.

It finally came down to the seventh owner having to sue the sixth, sixth the fith, etc back to the second owner. All the other owners had sold it in good faith, but they all got caught and had to chase their money through the courts.

Today we have the REVs system to check if any money is owed.

Annyway, the reciept is your proof of ownership. The rego papers arn't as the RTA /Vic Roads etc do not guarentee ownership!

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
^^^ So it doesn't protect you... because when you're suing someone... you can lose.

When I buy a 250G Aston Martin for example... I don't want to find out that after I handed over the cash to the "owner" that I still need to give another 240G to someone that money is owed to... which I will get back at some point in the future... probably.

As you said, Best thing to do is just do a check on the vehicle and make sure there is no finance owing on it.

Simple as that.

And as you said, the receipt can be used as proof of ownership when buying a car that is not registered so you don't fill out transfer papers.

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
i know you cant sell your car at auction if you dont have a proper receipt.

they state that rego papers dont proove ownership.........not sure how they figure that one out