Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a car --> Making a Reciept

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
I'm looking at buying a new car from a private seller for a family member on the weekend

as far as paper works go, i want the car to have a written reciept

Could someone show me an example of the format of what the reciept should look like such as the details of the car, details of the seller, witnesses etc, what else should be included in the reciept?

and would it be a good idea to pre-make the reciept with blanks so the seller would just need to fill in the blanks and sign away?

Juztin

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS UTE Auto
I've got one mate, i'll scan it once im back from work.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Wouldn't the transfer papers be the receipt...?

They have every parties details, vehicle details, payment details, etc

r_i_d_a_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Commodore + '98 E36
thanks juztin, that'll be much appreciated mate.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Wouldn't the transfer papers be the receipt...?

They have every parties details, vehicle details, payment details, etc

No, you need a written receipt to be with the transfer papers.

Also it depends on who you strike at vicroads, my recipt had;
My name, current address,
Sellers Name, current address,
Car ID plate, Make, Model, Year, Colour and Engine number.
The date of which it was sold
Condition of being sold (unreg, as is)
Price
Both Signatures

And I striked the wicked witch at our local vicroads and she turned it down and said it was a dodgey receipt with not enough details. She want the Chassis number and Previous rego, though it was purchased unregistered.

In the end I was so bloody angry, I ended up making a stat dec 2 pages long about the cars history, with EVERY owner from 1984 and there address' and phone numbers, and every number on the car I could find. She still wasnt happy cause she had to read all about it :p
BUT in saying that, we have registered a car that said "I *Name* purchased a blue commodore from *name* on *date* for a sum of *price*. and had both signatures at the end and the same lady accepted it, go figure.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
tom pretty much has nailed it but put the time as well just in case

Deltak

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Car Ownership Papers - Reciept

Hi,

I would alos add to the reciept the statement: -

"The vehicle was purchased free and clear of all debts, and with all faults - if any."

This protects you, if here is money still owing, and the previous (private) owner as you are buying the car "as is" (i.e. buyer beware).

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
No, you need a written receipt to be with the transfer papers.

Also it depends on who you strike at vicroads, my recipt had;
My name, current address,
Sellers Name, current address,
Car ID plate, Make, Model, Year, Colour and Engine number.
The date of which it was sold
Condition of being sold (unreg, as is)
Price
Both Signatures

And I striked the wicked witch at our local vicroads and she turned it down and said it was a dodgey receipt with not enough details. She want the Chassis number and Previous rego, though it was purchased unregistered.

In the end I was so bloody angry, I ended up making a stat dec 2 pages long about the cars history, with EVERY owner from 1984 and there address' and phone numbers, and every number on the car I could find. She still wasnt happy cause she had to read all about it :p
BUT in saying that, we have registered a car that said "I *Name* purchased a blue commodore from *name* on *date* for a sum of *price*. and had both signatures at the end and the same lady accepted it, go figure.

... odd... I've sold my car without anything more that teh transfer papers and bought a car with nothing but transfer papers...

Never had an issue with vicroads... maybe it's different if you buy and sell with a RWC. (Link below, it is.)

Also... a written receipt won't protect you if there is finance owing on the car...

It's not a legal document so the people who the money is owed to will not care...

You could take the matter to court and probably win on the grounds the seller was dishonest... but that's about it...

You would need a written agreement with the party that the money is owed to, then you would be fine.

This is a link to the vicroads buying and selling section.

Transferring a currently registered vehicle in another persons name : VicRoads

So basically, if you are bying with the rego you just need the transfer form and the rwc which you are required to submit within 14 days of aquiring the vehicle.

If you are buying the vehicle un-registered, you need to work out a receipt. I would base this on the details needed for the transfer form but also include a comments section where any flaws or what not with the vehicle are acknowledged and both parties sign off on this.

Though apparently all this can also vary from state to state...

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
... odd... I've sold my car without anything more that teh transfer papers and bought a car with nothing but transfer papers...

Never had an issue with vicroads... maybe it's different if you buy and sell with a RWC. (Link below, it is.)

Also... a written receipt won't protect you if there is finance owing on the car...

It's not a legal document so the people who the money is owed to will not care...

You could take the matter to court and probably win on the grounds the seller was dishonest... but that's about it...

You would need a written agreement with the party that the money is owed to, then you would be fine.

This is a link to the vicroads buying and selling section.

Transferring a currently registered vehicle in another persons name : VicRoads

So basically, if you are bying with the rego you just need the transfer form and the rwc which you are required to submit within 14 days of aquiring the vehicle.

If you are buying the vehicle un-registered, you need to work out a receipt. I would base this on the details needed for the transfer form but also include a comments section where any flaws or what not with the vehicle are acknowledged and both parties sign off on this.

Though apparently all this can also vary from state to state...

Stand corrected. Never knew you didnt need a receipt when transferring, but that does make sense actually.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
i dont remember needing a receipt when i bought my last car. i got one, but i dont think i showed it to vicroads