Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying A Car

B

bad_boyz

Hey fellas,

I'm buying my first car in a week or two and I need some answers before I buy, from you guys.

Firstly, my budget is between $4-5K, so immediately I;m thinking a VL executive or Berlina with relatively low k's (under 200,000K) in relatively good condition and preferably with not too many performance mods. I would definietly like a manual. What do you think is a good price to pay for something like this? Would I be better off with a shift kit on an auto?

Also, I noticed an ad for a vl turbo manual in the trading post that had done under 200,000k's and in good condition, so i was wondering if vl turbos have any sort of history to look out for and what would I expect to pay for something as such?

Vl Calais also interest me so if there's anything I should know about buying a VL for the first time please let me know, and I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers,
Adz

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Check out a sight called www.redbook.com.au they have all of the pricing for most cars that will give you an idea of how much a vehicle is worth.

My personal opinion is either a turbo has been worked hard or has not. See if there is a history with the vehicle you are looking at especially if it has only just had work done to the mechanicals. you know what I mean, 5 diffs in 2 years is most probably NOT a good thing.

Highley recommend getting your local RAC or NRMA to look at it befor you part with your cash. It might not be a lot of money to some but I bet its a hell of a lot of money for you to waste on a lemon.

Regards Guy.

D

Duaneo

Ya definately get a mechanic or NRMA to check over the car before you go & dive in, if buying from a dealer, look for any minor problems and aske if they would be willing to repair it prior to you buying the car, many will fix minor things to get the sale, if they are not willing to fix it, ask them to drop the price so you can afford to fix it yourself. Look for things like panel damage, interior damage or missing parts, deep scratches on the body work, cracks or large stone chips in the windscreen, all are handy bargaining tools.
VL's are still in my opinion one of, if not the best of the 6 cylinder comodores, the nissan motor was and still is a good thing.
One went down here recently for $3000, was in brand new condition inside & out, was a berlina 6 cyl, 17 inch rims, tinted windows, new shocks, new brake rotors & pads. I thought it was a pretty good deal. So there are good deals goin round.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
Other than the obvious when buying a VL you should pay close attention to:

Rust- Around both front and rear window screens, in the boot itself and along the panel that supports the windscreen.

Cooling System- The cooling system is the only downside on the VL RB30. I would have it pressure tested and make sure it's been well maintained. Some VL's like to run hot and blow non genuine headgaskets.

Try and steer clear of the auto (Jatco) VL's, while the n/a box is quite strong, it's a first car and I'm sure it wouldn't enjoy the punishment. If you must get an auto VL make sure you do a fluid change/service and fit a decent sized transmission cooler before you go disrespecting it.

Don't touch a $5000 VL Turbo, chances are it'll need alot of work- expect to pay around 7k for a mint Exec/SL/Berlina Turbo and 10k for a Calais Turbo.

Most decent n/a VL's fetch more than VN's,I'd aim to spend 4-5k if you want a really neat manual example.

Good-luck with the hunt, get it inspected before purchase, don't buy something jst because your sick of looking, if there's any doubts at all. Don't buy it.

Cheers

Jake

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
The below link is a previous "Buy the mighty VL" topic.

http://forums.justcommodores.com//index.ph...p?showtopic=680

BTW- Welcome to Just Commodores, only just noticed it was your first thread. Enjoy and I hope you find the right ride.

Cheers

Jake

B

bad_boyz

QUOTE Highley recommend getting your local RAC or NRMA to look at it befor you part with your cash. It might not be a lot of money to some but I bet its a hell of a lot of money for you to waste on a lemon.

Yeah bro I've got that all under control. I wont be buying any lemon thats for sure.

QUOTE VL's are still in my opinion one of, if not the best of the 6 cylinder comodores, the nissan motor was and still is a good thing.
One went down here recently for $3000, was in brand new condition inside & out, was a berlina 6 cyl, 17 inch rims, tinted windows, new shocks, new brake rotors & pads. I thought it was a pretty good deal. So there are good deals goin round.

That for $3000. Would've been perfect. Yeah I've heard the same thing said about the VL engine all my mates agree the VL is the best Holden ever produced, and they all own VK's!

QUOTE Don't touch a $5000 VL Turbo, chances are it'll need alot of work- expect to pay around 7k for a mint Exec/SL/Berlina Turbo and 10k for a Calais Turbo.

Dammit! Redbook has th earlier models priced at between 3.5-4.5K, but they are a sought after car so yeah... I might check it out anyway.

This will be my first car, and under normal circumstances I'd get something reliable and safe but I've had my licence for 2 1/2 years and wouldn't mind something a bit more performance based, like a 150kw vl turbo, but the stock vl's aren't no mickey either... but I wanted a turbo. Ah well, back to reality.

Okay, a few more questions guys then it's time to buy. I expect to pay about $4K for something in top condition and A1 mechanically, or close to is. What extras should I be looking for? I eventually want to stick 17" wheels on it, with a 2.5" exhaust with lowered suspension and maybe even extractors. Would it be better to buy something with all these things already on it, or do it myself in good time? i would prefer do it myself but you know budgets a bit of an issue atm.

thanks for all your help fellas

cheers,
adz

D

death-from-above

You will save money if the items are already on the car but then again a driver with lots of mods is likely to either treat the car like its a burn out machine or love it and take care of it, i just hope for your sake its the latter.

Oh by the way i have a VL for sale

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
QUOTE (bad_boyz @ Jan 29 2004, 11:54 AM) Dammit!   Redbook has th earlier models priced at between 3.5-4.5K,

i could be mistaken but i believe redbook quotes trade in values. you'll pay considerably more as a private buyer (ie buying from a private seller, or from a dealer)

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Redbook has Trade in aswell as National Average Price and Price when new, although I find it to be abit off.
1989 HOLDEN CALAIS
VN Sedan 4dr Auto 4sp 3.8i
national average price - private sale* $2,700 - $4,600
I wish!!

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
It's not so far off on the VN V6 Calais. I wouldn't pay anymore than 5k for a stock example.

They're shocking on the VL Calais Turbo considering manual unmodifed examples in mint condition fetch a max of around 12k.

Jake