Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a dog, which breed to get??

alfa123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0 UTE 5Spd
Ridgeback is a great choice!!

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
18 days to go til i bring my little puppy home!! woo

i bought the kennel today, i got the biggst one i could find haha, gonna get all the other stuff for it during the week and clean out the yard and get the house in shape.

Question though...

Has anybody brought a puppy home to an older cat?

We have a cat thats probably 8 or 9 years old now..at least and its the most unfriendly cat ive ever come across... its starting to calm down but its still very unfriendly

I just want to know the best way of intoducing them to one another... im just worried about the cat attacking the dog when its in its kennel... Im gonna have a dog run to keep the puppy safe, but the cat will be able to get in if it really wants to...

anyone got any tips? Ive had a look on the net but they all say the same kind of thing and its not all that helpful

Chalky01

Hose Technician.. HAHA
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
^^^ about that
I watched on Harrys practise that the best way is by introducing them with a screen door between the two. Also the cat might not be seen for longer periods of time (goes out for longer strolls). Just be careful if the cat goes out for say.... 2 or 3 days.

Haha i can totally agree on the maltese being annoying!! The step mum has 2 moodles (poodle x maltese) and they do not stop barking! Currently atm they are barking lol

missVT195i

missVT195i
Reaction score
Members Ride
blah blah blah
i have a boxer and i live in a townhouse with a small yard he spends alot of time inside but they need alot of exercise if you keep them in a small yard, they are great with children and very friendly also great guard dogs,

what about a rotti they are great with kids, very loyal, great guard dogs, they are lazy so spend most of the day sleeping and wouldnt mind a small yard

Sharoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Grandpa Spec 5.7L VX Berlina
My ex had a Mastiff x Ridgeback and he told me that when he brought it home the cat attacked him pretty bad and they pretty much left each other alone after.
The dog never forgot and would never turn his back on the cat. It was actually pretty funny watching such a big dog terrified of this old cat, he wouldn't walk out of the room if the cat was in there.
That cat was also really nasty. It attacked me once when I was asleep. It had jumped up onto the bed next to me and I must have touched it and it skitzed out at me. I hated that cat..
When I introduced my dog to my exes dog (his hated other dogs) I did it through a fence where they could smell and clearly see each other without the danger of a fight and best to do it without restraining either of them.

Try through a fly screen and if all goes ok inroduce them in a room the cat can escape from rather than turn and attack the pup. Remember how full on pups can be.

Also wanted to add some tips that I found good when my brother got his puppy.
Buy a small ticking clock (from a $2 shop) his puppy barely cried when it had it in its bed, it reminds them of a heartbeat.

About a week before you bring it home, find and old shirt and wear it to bed everynight, wear it if you're doing things at home during the day but don't wash it. It makes the dog get used to your scent and its really comforting for them.
That also works for new babies. My babies would only go to sleep if I cuddled them, I used to wear an old shirt and make it really smell like me and then I could put it between someone else and the baby and they would be content and not screaming for me.

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey that shirt idea is a pretty good one sharoo! thanks for that :D

Chalky01: thanks :thumbsup: The...... 'silly' cat disappears all the time, once it went missing for a month and then just came back haha... it probably has about 8 homes where everyone feeds it around the area, who knows :p

I dont really have an area where I can introduce them through a screen door where they can see each other... I suppose I can do it outside with the pup in his run so the cat can run off..

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
bit of an update...

i ended up getting a ridgeback puppy

he's nearly 11 weeks old now

His name is Rocky, and like his owner he is very camera shy :p (really he just thinks every time the phone/camera comes out it play time)

anyway.. heres one of him while he's being good (asleep :p)

SNC00083.jpg

On one had he's a great pup... on the other, he's a typical cheeky little thing, but love him anyway :p

skruba

holden, honda, pitbulls
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive
great lookin pup i breed pittys and american staffys (along the same lines) they r beutiful dogs no matter wat ppl say my nieces and nephew love layin with my dog he doesnt bark as pittys have a howly winey noise that they hardly ever do he is very loyal n if i lost him i wuld cry

chayandrews

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore wagon
Get a German Shepherd.

Loyal, easy to train. Medium to large, depending on the breeder. Hip scores etc should be made available to you.

Very good guard dog, a natural ability in the breed. Good with kids, adults alike.

Remember that what you put in - you get out.

Mongrels have less probelems, but hey, your choice at the end of the day.

If you excercise a dog well, they do not need a big back yard. That big back yard, unsupervised, leads to boredom problems (chewing, digging etc..)

Good luck, no matter what breed, they're great fun and very loving companions.