Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a dog, which breed to get??

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
haha manda what is mollie anyway??

holdencommodorevp, i agree with you there, ive been doing a fair bit of reading on them and it all seems to be pretty good, theyre a great looking dog as well, and i like how they dont mind just hangin out as well :p theyre supposed to be really calm when theyre inside.

the onlyyyy problem with the ridgebacks (theres always at least one problem isnt there) is that theyre relatively 'rare' so theres a limited supply which means you might have to wait a while and ive been waiting for 21 years so im about done waiting lol

5ivespeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Manual
english bull terrier. they are a decent size if you dont get a miniature. good guarddog. dont shed coats. and are good with kids. people get pitbulls mixed up with them so they sometimes get a bad name for no reason. best dogs ever

5ivespeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Manual
oh and dont get a doberman. they dont look right with long tails. same goes for rotties and boxers. they should still dock their tails

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
Ill recommend mastiff x staffy till im blue in the face...
This is my dog lex, he is a staffy x mastiff x bull arab, in this picture he is 16 weeks old and weighs 17 kg already!!... Only thing with this breed is that they eat like theres no 2morro
Other than that there a great dog

Attachments

• 16 weeks 4.jpg
    16 weeks 4.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 3,672

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
Mike, im telling you right now, a poodle would be perfect for you lmao...... could you imagne you going down to errol for a coffee with tha beast? baahaha

btw i have 2 labs, there not that big to be honest BUT they eat anything you put infront of them, and dont stop......

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
definitely an American staffordshire terrier.
AVERAGE HEIGHT: 17-19 inches
AVERAGE WEIGHT: 57-67 pounds
LIFE SPAN: 12-14 years

10.jpg

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I find mongrels to be some of the best dogs you can get with the best temper etc, I would suggest say a staffie x huntaway or similar, have a few friends with staffy x dogs and they have been some of the nicest dogs I have ever come across, I have always had purebred dogs and always seem to have trouble, 1st 2 dogs I ever had, had heart defects both show dog purebred, then the next I had (jack russell) got leukemia at 8yrs old, didn't last long after that, I would suggest a mongrel but at the end of the day the way the dog acts all comes from the way its been brought up, there are some with more tendancies to be angry but most dogs regardless of the type can be trained well.

Tas_HSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Clubsport
oh and dont get a doberman. they dont look right with long tails. same goes for rotties and boxers. they should still dock their tails

Most breeders still do dock the tails,its still legal in WA,so they send the pups to WA and get the tails done(or maybe pay a fee to a WA vet to just SAY the tails were docked there.....cynical i know).My pup has been docked legally,all the certifacation etc....

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Most breeders still do dock the tails,its still legal in WA,so they send the pups to WA and get the tails done(or maybe pay a fee to a WA vet to just SAY the tails were docked there.....cynical i know).My pup has been docked legally,all the certifacation etc....

Awesome.

Didn't know that. I wanted a Doberman (had one as a kid) but not being able to dock the tail put me off.

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
We grew up with a rottwieler and i loved that dog. had the best temprement even though it has been classified as vicsious by some poeple. Simple thing is, we got taught not to irritate the dog, and it wouldn't attack us.
Currently mum has her ShihTzu cross Maltese. very loyal, well trained but because he hasn't grown up with young kids, he's not too good at that. trying to teach my cousin not to annoy him is difficult as well. fairly high maintenance and they WILL take over as head of the house, but they think they make good guard dogs lol