Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a dog, which breed to get??

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
Mike, im telling you right now, a poodle would be perfect for you lmao...... could you imagne you going down to errol for a coffee with tha beast? baahaha

btw i have 2 labs, there not that big to be honest BUT they eat anything you put infront of them, and dont stop......

LOL oh yea, there at errols cafe with a poodle... id rather buy a... i dunno, turtle? lol

I'd love a lab but dont they shed their hair alot? and it looks like every dog i look at just eats constantly so thats not a problem :p

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
definitely an American staffordshire terrier.

10.jpg

This was the first dog i was really looking at but then i called up a few dog schools and heaps of them said that they dont take these dogs, and also apparently they have to be muzzled when you take them out?

i dunno, thats just what i was told, and as soon as the oldies heard that, it was game over, but such a nice dog!

faroogoo

SENTINEL
Reaction score
Members Ride
GMH
Pretty sure Cropped ears ^^^ are frowned upon & are illegal in most if not all Australian states.So it wont look as menacing as that.

VTO11

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
yeah my vote is the american staffordshire terrier also, great dogs.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Please explain something too me. Why is it people have the attitude that the bigger the dog, the better it is? I always thought bigger dogs were better but when I met my wife she had two Maltese X. Great dogs. Very loyal and playful. One has a few anxiety issues but he was found as a stray wandering the streets of Bankstown (If you were lost wandering the streets of Bankstown you'd have some issues too). We have a 7 month old son and they are both great with him. Plus if you only have a small yard why bring a big dog into that environment?

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ive done a fair bit of reading (more than usual :p) and actually, those smaller dogs (like jack russells for example) need a much bigger yard because theyre so much more active... The rhodesian ridgeback is very active and requires alot of exercise but its fine with a smaller space as long as it getes that exercise

anyway, just baught the topic up with the grandparents, and they want a couple days to think about it, hmm not happy jan. whatever they say im gettin one, just wanna give them the chance to say yes

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Our 8 week old Puppy dalmation had to be put down, we hadnt even had him for a week. He developed gallstones and a hernia resulted from it, the breeders and Vet determined that even if they fixed it he would have continual troubles with it throughout his life.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Please explain something too me. Why is it people have the attitude that the bigger the dog, the better it is? I always thought bigger dogs were better but when I met my wife she had two Maltese X. Great dogs. Very loyal and playful. One has a few anxiety issues but he was found as a stray wandering the streets of Bankstown (If you were lost wandering the streets of Bankstown you'd have some issues too). We have a 7 month old son and they are both great with him. Plus if you only have a small yard why bring a big dog into that environment?

I can't say I have noticed that attitude amongst anyone. Most people opt for a medium sized dog its not that bigger is better its just that small dogs are usually pretty annoying yappy little things that get under your feet.