Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a dog, which breed to get??

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
Ok, so I've finally convinced everyone to let me buy a dog, providing they agree on the breed

now personally i LOVE doberman, i love huskies, and i love labs (in other words, all the big dogs) problem is, theres a small backyard, and i dont want to subject a big dog to that

anyway, heres a little list of things that im looking for:

- medium size
- ok with a smallish back yard
- good looking (no offence there are some real ugly breeds out there :p)
- good temprement
- good with children
- doesnt shed its coat too often
- good gaurd dog (doesnt have to be, but would be prefered)

i think thats about it for now... I have lots of parks in the area so itll get plenty exercise regularly

whatever breed i'll be getting it as a puppy n it'll be trained starting as early as possible

umm so yeah, if anyone has any suggestions, let me kno

ta

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
i personally love red heelers.
had one a while back, lived to 18 and was so good with me and my brother and sister. even once got my mum when my little brother fell in between our fence and our garage. smart dog.
now we have a jack russel, they are on acid..... :wax:

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
haha yeah, one of my uncles has a jack russell, i remember when it was younger it was just non stop!! so theyre out of the question, theyre too small anyway

I have had a look into red heelers, i dont mind them actually, but not quite sure yet.. but its in there :p thanks!

my old man wants a schnauzer, i refuseeeee... theres no way, so i have to come up with a good enough alternative

i wish i could get a doberman :( argh

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
just something to keep in the back of your mind.
The smaller the dog, the nastier the attitude usually is.

Call it 'short mans syndrome' if you will.
i dont know if you have little kids, but little dogs wont put up with the **** that kids usually dish out so i wouldnt recommend anything smaller than a Jack Russel.

Tas_HSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Clubsport
just got a 10 week old pedigree doberman pup,should be here in tassie in a few days,dont need a huge yard if you plan on exersising in parks etc,and great with children if you bring them up with the kids apparently,which was the main part of deciding a new dog for me.

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm gonna go in to a couple pet shops tomorrow to look around (hopefully gonna buy a dog directly from a breeder though) but i have a little short list going:

1. Doberman (tas_HSV - thanks for keeping my hopes alive :D)

2. Rhodesian ridgeback, theyre such a beautiful dog, and its said they dont need a large backyard if they get daily exercise

3. Hungarian Vizsla

its pretty obvious i prefer big dogs :p

Im trying to keep my options open though, hence this thread

faroogoo

SENTINEL
Reaction score
Members Ride
GMH
Boxer,had a female for 14 yrs before she passed very loyal dog,A walk morning &/or night keeps them happy & you fit lol.Excellent temprement around kids.

Will get another Boxer one day.

Have a 10yr old Jack Russell now,He's all heart & no brains will take on any dog no matter what the size,especially his buddy a fox terrier before he passed.(got the battle scars to prove it)Good around kids though.

Sharoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Grandpa Spec 5.7L VX Berlina
My ex bf has a Mastiff x ridgeback and despite his size is a gorgeous dog inside and out.He is great with my kids and doesn't need that much exercise.
He is a really good guard dog. His size alone is a deterrent followed by his bark that goes straight through you.

I have a Mastiff x Staffy atm, we adopted her from the RSPCA. I have a 2 & 3 year old and she is fantastic with them.
I look after my brothers dog a Jack Russell x and I don't recommend one! I swear he barks at the wind changing direction.

I think you should be right with whatever breed of dog you get. I believe a good owner makes a good dog and if you train it right and set boundaries with the kids from day one it should go well.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Sketti!!!! Get a Mollie dog!!! :D

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I'm looking to get a dog soon, and if it was for the hair all over the place issue, i'd have a german shepard. So i'll probably look at a Rhodesian ridgeback , they grow to be a good sized meduim dog, and there short haired also. There smart dogs, good for guard dogs, and are a real people dog. Many people will bag them out though, saying that their viscous and what not, but it's all bullshit. It all comes down to how an animal is raised. Also rather leave a baby alone in a room with say a German shepard or a Ridgeback, than something like a friggin Jack Russell, those things are just pure evil!!! You like rigeback's already i go for one of them.

Last edited: