Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

buying a stock 2007 ve berlina.. any suggestions??

holdengirl17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII SV6 sport wagon & a VX SII Executive
hii everyone.. i still have alot to learn about cars in general, && i have alot more to learn about the VE...

i'm buying a phantom black 2007 ve berlina..

what needs to be done to lower it??? they're so high!!!

whats the standard stereo system like?? i take it you can't really do too much to them??

What about the exhaust system.. what can or should i do there??

I'm only a little bit excited :) now to sell my vx....

holdengirl17

Reaction score
Members Ride
this may be stupid.. but i have just been looking online, not in person.. do all the ve berlinas have the chrome trims around the windows??

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I just upgraded the sound system in my SV6, stuck with the standard head unit cos they're a pain to replace, and actually a fairly decent unit, but the factory speakers are pretty ordinary. I've just replaced all the speakers (JL Audio splits in the front and 6" coax in the back doors) and added a 5 channel amp and sub, wired into the stock HU, just got it installed yesterday and sounds awesome. Cost me around 2k all up, including pro install and dynamat in the doors.

holdengirl17

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i didnt really think it was worth replacing the head unit it was possible.. hmmm maybe i should take my stereo out of my car before i sell it... or just a few things at least.. just need someone to help me lol might keep one of my amps, my sub and speakers in the front doors....

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Yeah definitely worth keeping if you have some decent gear, did you keep the original factory stuff to put back in there? Otherwise you might find it hard selling your VX with holes in the doors :p

holdengirl17

Reaction score
Members Ride
i can get factory speakers from the wreckers.. will still work out cheaper than buying new ones of what i have.. only problem with the sub is i bought one of those corner sub boxes.. sub box wont fit in the ve boot i presume so i don't care about that.. but the carpet in the boot was cut so it sat better.. i can leave an empty sub box there.. better than them having to buy a box if and when they want a sub i guess.. :)

holdengirl17

Reaction score
Members Ride
well no one said anything about an exhaust... so i just bought some parts.... can i put a ve ss muffler/exhaust tip on there?? coz i just bought one.. if i can't then oh well.. i'll sell them and get a profit :)

if i can.. do i need a new bumper? or can the plastic on the bottom of the bumper be altered?? I can see from photo's that theres a umm what's the word.. a groove? on the opposite side of where the exhaust tip is on the berlina.. can that be taken out so i can put the other twin exhaust tips coming out there??
I know if it is possible to have these tips that i'll more than likely need an entirely different exhaust system.. but that's okay :)
Hopefully someone understands what i'm talking about haha.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
hii everyone.. i still have alot to learn about cars in general, && i have alot more to learn about the VE...

i'm buying a phantom black 2007 ve berlina..

what needs to be done to lower it??? they're so high!!!

whats the standard stereo system like?? i take it you can't really do too much to them??

What about the exhaust system.. what can or should i do there??

I'm only a little bit excited :) now to sell my vx....

cool.

pedders sportryders, about $600 installed and wheel alignment.

sucks to be sure, but with money anything is possible. much easier and cheaper to incorporate existing head unit into new setup... plenty of amps out there have high level inputs so you can just connect speaker wires directly into amp and away you go. isnt going to win you any competitions, but will certainly improve things from standard.

what do you mainly want? better exhaust sound, or/and performance? if its just sound you are looking for (and you are on a budget), new rear mufflers will do the trick for sure. if you want any measurable performance gains, its going to have to be a full exhaust and tune.

but the above issues are nothing compared to the main one.... selling the vx first ;).

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
If you're just after the look with the twin tips on the exhaust, get an exhaust shop to cut the standard tip and fit a y-pipe with double tips. Quick and easy. If you're after quad tips (dual tips on both sides) you'll need a few extra hangers/rubbers and obviously the exhaust off an SS (will cost you next to nothing and they're EVERYWHERE!). You'll also at least need a dual outlet diffuser but possibly a whole rear bar - I'm still not sure on what's needed there! haha. But it's all relatively straight forward.

Once you have the dual 2.25 system fitted, there's all sorts of bits you can cut out of it and change around - not really worth going much bigger - but dump the rear mufflers for something freer flowing (even straight pipes) and lose some of the mish-mash through the middle and you'll have something that will flow pretty well. Also, get some decent V6 headers and she'll be breathing much better. It's all 409 stainless, so save the coin on a fancy aftermarket system and run with someone else's SS system - use the extra cash for the headers and an intake.

holdengirl17

Reaction score
Members Ride
i won some ve ss mufflers for $51.. it's more the look and a bit of sound that i'm after, i don't need power and i'm sure it's already better on fuel than the vx..

thanks for the help guys, now to try and get the car.. gotta fly up to sydney and drive 10 hours back home if i do :)