Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a VB Commodore

S

Stuie

Hey Folks
Looking at buying a VB for the wife and baby to run to the shops etc in and saw one today quickly should have looked longer but was in a hurry!
Ok what do i specifically look for in the way of faults or potential problems with a VB? How can i be sure its not gone from a six to a 8? Does it matter or the suspension etc the same and how do i tell?
SL model

Its had alot done to it lately .......

Reco 4.2l long motor
New heavy duty radiator
New front disc rotors and pads
New front struts
New fuel pump
Recoed carby
Its says also regulary serviced and at the $1800 mark seems a good buy at present withpout having done a major inspection.
Any input appreciated.
THANKS For the help.Im really into American stuff but this looked like a little gem.
STUART

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Post up the details of the build plate, then i can work it out if its a SL and if its a factory V8.
The build plate is a rectangler plate with Model, Body Number.
For faults well look here http://au.geocities.com/commodoretech/vbfaults.html, thats most of the fualts in the VBs

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
The VB came with a 4.2L (253) V8 with a 3 speed Trimatic (M40) and a 2.78:1 diff & a 3.08 as a performance option or a Aussie 4 speed (M20) and a 3.08:1 diff.
The 4.2L engine should have an engine number prefix starting with VR the Product option for the engine on the complience plate should be L36, M20 for a 4 speed manual, M40 for a 3 speed auto. GU4 for a 3.08 diff & GU7 for the 2.78.

Look for the VIN plate on the car also, it will read :
Luxury, K - commodore, L - SL, X- SL/E
19 or 69 for Sedan, or 35 for wagon
5th character is the engine code
6th character year of manufacture H-1978, J- 1979
7th&8th characters builod plant
H1-H4 = Brisbane
H5-H9 = Sydney
J1-J9 = Melbourne
L1-L9 = Adelade

The last character should be a B as in the model code VB
I have more VIN info on my Site.

If its got a Turbo 400 it will have an ID plate on the RH side of the transmission with a serial number like 79 - EK - 1111
79 being the year, EK is the 4.2 & 5L code & 1111 is a sample serial number

cheers
Scott

S

Shanoqueeb

1800 is a pretty good price considering how much it costs to put a new engine in and all the repairs

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
Check in boot under the rubber mat...Boots leak...water stays trapped under mat..hence no boot floor..Rusted Out

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Check out the rust mate, sometimes it can be bad, but sometimes it can just be surface rust, which is easy fixed if you know how :)