Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a Ve commodore international sportswagon

gambino

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs stato
Well im out there looking to buy a car for the wife and baby. I'm personally a ford man owning only fords so im new to the Holden scene. I've been working away from home and saved the cash to go towards a new car. The Missus really likes the ve international sportswagon. Plenty of boot
Space for the baby seat, pram shopping etc plus the extra goodies like leather interior etc. just wanting to know what you commodore owners think of the wagon? the ones we've been looking at online are around 110000km for a 2009 - 2010 for around 15k-20k. Are there any common problems for the car after the 100000km mark? I know all the obvious ones like colour of oils, head gaskets etc how does the engine gearbox and diff hold up? First time I'm spending a serious amount of cash (well in my eyes) and want to get it right. Thanks in advance

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
Depending on the year/model could mean the difference between a four speed and a six speed.

I drove a four speed for about two years. Nothing wrong with it, but my new six speed is a lot smoother.

Also, 2009 will have an alloytech motor, and the 2010 will have the higher output SIDI, which is meant to be better on fuel.

Good luck with the purchase! :)

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
I'm not a fan of station wagons, but when the second bub came along, I bought a VX station wagon. They are a lot easier to get the pram in & out.
When my boys were past the pram stage, my next car was a sedan.

In 2009, Holden brought out the SIDI version of the 3.6 litre motor, and the new 3.0 litre SIDI. The new motor is only available with an (also new) six-speed automatic transmission. I have an Omega sedan with the new, smaller motor. I am very happy with it, and in particular with its fuel consumption.

The conversion from Ford to Holden requires some major adjustment -
greater reliability;
door handles that don't fall off;and
hold their value better;
just to mention a few differences.
And yes, I've owned two Fords (XW & ZL).

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
Note: The six speed/SIDI combo is only in cars built after September 2009 (MY10). Anything before (MY9.5) had the four speed/Alloytech combo. :)

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Well im out there looking to buy a car for the wife and baby. I'm personally a ford man owning only fords so im new to the Holden scene. I've been working away from home and saved the cash to go towards a new car. The Missus really likes the ve international sportswagon. Plenty of boot
Space for the baby seat, pram shopping etc plus the extra goodies like leather interior etc. just wanting to know what you commodore owners think of the wagon? the ones we've been looking at online are around 110000km for a 2009 - 2010 for around 15k-20k. Are there any common problems for the car after the 100000km mark? I know all the obvious ones like colour of oils, head gaskets etc how does the engine gearbox and diff hold up? First time I'm spending a serious amount of cash (well in my eyes) and want to get it right. Thanks in advance

A VE with 100000 plus KMs is very used and there are massive differences in the condition of used vehicles with that sort of mileage from very well maintained and carefully driven gems to suspect vehicles waiting for lots of dollars to be spent on the mechanicals. (Regardless of the sort of driving, kms = wear and tear and that inevitably means repair and replacement costs). Condition at 100000 plus kms all depends on how the car has been driven and cared for/maintained. If you are buying don't cheap skate it. Get a pre purchase inspection from a reputable inspection firm so you know what you are buying. Don't buy an ex corporate Fleet car because frequently these vehicles are neglected mechanically and badly maintained and people who do not own the cars frequently do not care how they drive them. (I can tell you from first hand experience). There are plenty of ex corporate fleet VEs sitting in car lots with that sort of mileage. Do not buy a car without a full service history either - which by the way is not a guarantee that you are not buying a dud. So have the vehicle checked thoroughly.

Here are a couple of threads you might like to read. There are others so take some time on the forum and read about the issues people have with their VEs.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/your-ve-what-problems-have-you-had.171604
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...timing-cover-leaking-approx-1-040-repair.html

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
I have had a MY9.5 International for 10 months and its been great. Only issue is the rotors need replacing, but it has done 94k. No real surprises there. The interior is great value for the $$$. Cargo area is great, heaps of room. Even better with a mesh cargo net up, can load them all the way up to the roof. They are easy to remove and install too.

Last edited: