Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a VE in 2020, worth it?

Mp64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Hi all, new here. Looking for a daily upgrade, been interested in a VE for a while, just have a couple questions:

Is the VE a good daily car to buy in 2020? Looking to buy a model around 2011-2012 with about 100000km on the clock. Anything I need to look out for or expect from these particular models?
Do the models in these particular years still have timing chain issues?
If bought at 100000km can I expect to fork out money on repairs sometime soon?

Cheers guys

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
People have trouble with them if they are not looked after and they're not serviced properly or frequently enough. So check how many oil changes it has had in it's life time.
A clean well serviced VE with 100k on it should need little more than a transmission service and set of spark plugs and the usual regular oil changes to get to 200thousand. I gave mine a new set of shocks and brake pads too. Parts are getting cheaper these days. Biggest risk is a set of timing chains or failed transmission at some stage if either has been neglected or abused.
What transmission does it have?

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
Make sure it's been serviced regularly as greenacc said. Took my old auto 09 SV6 from 100,000 to 210,000km in two years and the only issue was the water pump needed to be replaced at 160k. Would 100% recommend transmission oil change. When I got mine and did the change it was very black and overdue (although it still drove fantastic), was good from that point onwards. If the old owner tow's the rear shocks are probably due soon.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I have owned my ve for over two years. In that time I have travelled 17,000 k's. It has now done 117,000 ks. Apart from replacing the front struts, new tyres and servicing I have not had to do anything. Very happy with the car.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Similar @keith reed , I have had mine for 2 1/2 years now and done ~43k kms, now sitting on 102k kms.

Outside of servicing, only repairs have been four tyres, a radiator hose and replacement of the gear knob coz the silver finish was peeling.

This is a manual SSV Z not a 6 cyl car so timing chains are of no concern.

FWIW, I would by another one if the worst happened & I lost this one.

TomJones

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Holden Commodore SV6 Series 2 Sedan Automatic
Ive had mine for 5 months and love it. Its been serviced reg before and runs very well.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I purchased mine at 17,000 k/s [ex GM Executive Car] on June 2013, as it was 10 months old.
I have had it for 7 years this June
And it just clocked over 173,000 k/s,
And still drives perfectly,
Being I drive it all round the state for work
[eg: Geelong, Warrnambool, Mildura, Swan Hill, Echuca, Shepparton Wodonga, Latrobe Valley, Mornington Peninsula] Some Days I feel like Mike or Mal :D

Done usual, Servicing, Brakes, Tyres,
Additional works, Front Shocks, Shocker Tops, Caster Arms, Lower Control Arms.
And still love driving it, releasing those 362 Horses [260k/w] now and then ;)
Drives as smooth as silk when taking off from the lights, and can get up away quickly to. :cool:
But one thing was a pain in the arse early last year, was the Fuel Pump failed from a burnt terminal, :mad:
[as indicated in another thread]

Otherwise, I am going to hang on to the Big Banger ;)

Last edited:

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
If you get it off a private buyer, you will soon spot if it's someone who cares about it or it's just an a to b item. Buy from someone who enjoys their car and has a bit of know how. Only advice I have.
Had my 07 v8 calais for 6 months now, great shape except the previous owner did nothing with the tranmission, 204,000 k's and it's giving me the willies now

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
Hi all, new here. Looking for a daily upgrade, been interested in a VE for a while, just have a couple questions:

Is the VE a good daily car to buy in 2020? Looking to buy a model around 2011-2012 with about 100000km on the clock. Anything I need to look out for or expect from these particular models?
Do the models in these particular years still have timing chain issues?
If bought at 100000km can I expect to fork out money on repairs sometime soon?

Cheers guys

2011-2012 (VE Series 2) V6 models (So Omega, Berlina, SV6, 60th Anniversary, V, Calais, Statesman) have either LFX (on SV6, Statesman and Calais) or LF1 (Omega, Berlina) engines, which pretty much had the timing chain issue resolved by design. LY7s / LE0s (2004 VZ-2009 VE1) are what you have to worry the most about, especially if they haven't had the recall done.

The models you're looking at are also unlikely to have gearbox issues with the 6L50 unless some idiot's been doing burnouts. Stay the hell away from 5-speed Autos (5L40Es have a habit of eating Hydraulic pumps) Manual V6s are not Tremecs. They have Aisin AY6 boxes which love to eat second gear Synchros if you abuse the sh*t outta them. Also as the Series 1.5 and Series 2 have direct injection engines, expect to do a valve clean at some point. That's about a $2.5k job, and needs to be done by a professional because some of the chemicals they use are freaking nasty. I'd do that at about 150-200k.

In saying that, all Alloytecs when abused will have timing chain issues. Poor PCV Ventilation and skipping oil changes are the primary causes for that (and there's a mod you can do to widen the PCV valve and allow for better breathing). Expect to pay about $500-600 for new chains, about $500-600 for a sonic clean, and about $1000 in labor to do both. I am due to do mine pretty soon, and if you plan on keeping the car for a while and plan on modding, pop in some MACE cams and 88lb valve springs whilst your chains get done. May as well considering that they're exposed whilst it's happening.

The trick with Alloytecs is maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. These engines are hugely oil sensitive. Stick to the manufacturer's recommended service schedule, and use a good oil. Don't be a cheap c*nt and get K-Mart special crap. Go out and get proper full synthetic. Penrite HPR30's what I use.

V8s will be solid but i'm no expert on this front as I've only owned V6s. Lifters usually go on those from what I've read. Delete the AFM and send it. Get a flex fuel version if you can. Once again, any issues you're going to have with a V8 predominantly bases itself upon a lack of maintenance.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
At 100k shocks probably need doing changed mine at 120 and god the difference was amazing. Any be engine needs a close look V6 for chains and V8 for lifters and harmonic balancer wobbles.