Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

buying a VE SV6 series 2 2012 model

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Hi all , I know this has been done to death BUT I have been looking at trading the old VX in and buying a 2012 VE SV6 .I have checked out a few reviews and now i am even more confused . One thing is the oil consumption . Some say it is a common thing where others say it only a few that suffer from it . Also the IQ system is also supposed to be a bit of a problem from what i have read i.e the sound quality is shite , crappy speakers screen going blank and so on . Just wondering if some of you guys who own a VE series 2 could give me some feedback on these problems . Thanks in advance guys.

gomax

Reaction score
Members Ride
sv6
None of that here with a Dec 12 build Sportwagon Z series.

Henry19720

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY15 Man Sedan, MY17 SSVR Man Sedan
Only problem with mine was the aircon. Dealer eventually diagnosed it as a faulty thermistor (would occasionally freeze up) and retrofitted the MY11 version and software on it. No problem now in 15000km.

The other issue I've had is the IQ screen freezing and navigation stopping (to be fair I put this head unit in out of a wreck as it wasn't built with it).

Other than that I love it. MY12 SV6

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
I have owned a 2011 MY11 SV6 Manual and a 2013 MY12.5 SV6 Manual. I did just over 50,000 km on the MY11, and just passed 30,000 on the MY12.5 in the last week.

I have had no issues with the aircon or iQ system. If you buy a 2012 model, it would still have manufacturers warranty unless past 100,000 km or not serviced correctly.

I would totally recommend a VE II SV6. No doubt some people have troubles, and you would expect to hear them on this forum. However, I would think the vast majority are totally satisfied.

sIIVY_tommy

Now Cruising Z Series!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 SV6Z M6 Ute
got a Z series SV6 just done 25,000kms absolutely love it!

the only problem i have is when my ipod is connected to the IQ, when you want to select next song either from the wheel control or on the dash, it will pause the ipod and wont select the next song. You then have to press play again and attempt to change the song again only usually happens between 5 songs approx.

it usually fixes itself 99.9% will work once you tried to select the song again. no biggie only minor but dosnt change the way i feel about the car.

IMO you wont regret buying an series 2 SV6 mate i love mine to bits!!:spot on:

riSScky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2003 & VE SII SS MY12
I have a MY12 series 2 SS and it's friggin awesome.

Touch wood, i've not had any problems at all with mine.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Ok guys really appreciate the feedback . Looks like its goodbye to the VX "S" and hello VE . Thanks again :beer chug:

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
The oil consumption issues in the VE Series 2 SV6 seem to be more related to those with the LLT engine. There is a software calibration fix to correct it. A 2012 SV6 will have the LFX SIDI engine.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
So many burn oil that it made the Telegraph in Sydney. As Holden won't fix them unless they use more than about 1/3 of their oil in 10,000 km, there will be heaps out there on the used car market. Other common issues are the squeaking seats, cruise cntrl failing, IQ, engine light, sensors, air cond, cam chains and more that I don't know about. Great to drive but radio only just copes. Don't know if MY12 mod is any better.

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
My '12 IQ is great! Doesn't consume oil at all (I have the alloytech motor, though, so this may be different to you.)

IQ is great! Only once or twice has it the reverse camera sprayed on while driving. Although, it was an incredibly hot day both times.

Had mine for 16 months now, from new, and no major issues.

Tl;Dr: Car is great. Speakers are horrific, not the IQ.