Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a VS Commodore Ute

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
100 bucks worth of parts. If thats the issue have to wonder why he doesn't fix it himself?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Chances are its not that problem but NFI without a proper look

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
Also looks like it's low as so probably need new shocks and springs for a roady unless its the angle.
At those kms there could be a heap of things wrong.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Required Roadworthy's always devalue older cars far more than they do in South Australia etc. I must admit SA has the slackest rules when it comes to registration and change of ownership. This normally renders many vehicles an economical write off in Victoria and most of the East coast.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Well you can't complain about the price. If that is all that is wrong with it then it's a bargain.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
It's a cheap purchase price but there's no knowing what it might cost to get it in good, safe, reliable, registered running order.
Would you be doing the bulk of the work yourself or paying your mechanic to do it? If the former, how valuable is your time?
What are the inspection requirements with change of ownership in QLD? Does it need a blue slip or can the old rego just be continued? I only just read on JC that South Oz (I think) requires a blue slip inspection on change of ownership. That gets most old bangers off the road. It would do for mine (NSW) even though it goes and stops well and has just had its annual roadworthy. Oil leaks alone would fail a blue slip inspection

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
A VS is a fairly solid car overall.
Treat it well and they go on forever, so long as you keep on top of things.

But if you do get an inspection
Get them to check to see if its warm when they get there (may be a cold knock),
Check to see the coolant, if its a bit brown youll likely be doing inlet manifold gaskets.
See how dirty the bay is, if it has an oil leak then you will see it really wet and dirty through the bay.
Rear Main leaks are common on them.
And just all the other various checks you would do as normally.
Most fixes on them are relatively straight forward. Just depends if you want to take the chance of a cheaper vehicle that may be in good condition or if it needs a lot more done to it.

My old VS is now at just over 460k kms, so it proves if you treat it right then they do keep on going.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Curious what anyone's opinion is on this vehicle. It seems relatively cheap and I love the look of these old Utes. If its only the spark plugs and leads that need to be done I think it might be a bargain. https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1998-holden-commodore-vs-ii-auto/SSE-AD-6417377/?Cr=0

With what looks like aluminium frame on top obviously been a work ute and could very well be a tradie of sorts just wants to shift it due to either closing down or getting new work vehicle.
Ask some questions in this regard and if you are close enough to inspect it do so, or at worse pay $100 for a mobile safety certificate to find out what is needed for the safety cert.
Might save you lots more than the $100 and anything that needs doing is always a bargaining chip.
Also reg is about $900/year although can now be paid monthly in Qld for a 6 cylinder + stamp duty at $3 in every $100 and when registering you can value the car at whatever you like but certainly not the whole purchase amount as 1/11th is GST so not part of the value but I would never coach you to do something not quite legal..