Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a VS... What to look for

Rossbx

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VS Commodore Equipe Sedan
Hi all, I am in the process of looking for another car as the old VP is starting to crack up. I am thinking of a '96-'97 VS Commodore in either a sedan or a wagon and preferrably a V6 auto. Is there anything I should be looking for in order not to buy a lemon? and advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rossbx (AKA Rossco)

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
What nick suggested will help. You also need to look at which model you were after. I've got a VS S2 Calais.. and love it. Woodgrain & Electrics, I hence ELECTRICS. I would go for a Stato, Calais, or Berlina imo. Mines a 1996, brought from car yard but runs like a charm... don't take it to get serviced because they tell you everythings wrong haha and will cost you $1000+ to fix (my sump is leaking etc :p).. I got no strange noises etc so I'm happy. What can you expect from a 12 yr old car.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
Check how much the engine leaks. Pretty much all the early ecotec's leaked from the rear main seal. It's usually a tolerable amount but something to be careful of, especially if you like a clean driveway

Rossbx

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VS Commodore Equipe Sedan
What nick suggested will help. You also need to look at which model you were after. I've got a VS S2 Calais.. and love it. Woodgrain & Electrics, I hence ELECTRICS. I would go for a Stato, Calais, or Berlina imo. Mines a 1996, brought from car yard but runs like a charm... don't take it to get serviced because they tell you everythings wrong haha and will cost you $1000+ to fix (my sump is leaking etc :p).. I got no strange noises etc so I'm happy. What can you expect from a 12 yr old car.

I would seriously love a Stato, Calais or a Berlina but unfortunately the budget won't stretch that far. I only have just under 3g to spend and there is no way in hell I am going to get a loan to pay a car off. I would rather pay cash for it. I will be happy with an Executive as long as it has Cruise Control.
I know what you mean about taking them for a service though. The VP cost me $900 parts and labour last month and that was just basically a tune-up and a couple of sensors (MAP & MAT).

Thanks for your reply, I do appreciate it:thumbsup:

Cheers
Rossco