Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a VT..

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hey guys,

Selling my VR next week and thinking of getting a VT next as a bit of a project, ive seen some really nice ones that I am interested in but most have 200,000+ k's on the clock.

What are the ecotecs generally speaking like? Should I be trying to stay away from cars with over 200,000 or are the ecotecs usually pretty tough? Don't wanna buy one thats gonna screw me over in 6 months time.

Cheers,
Nick

dragon91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S Ute
Mate spend a bit extra and get a vx with lower k's.... Trust me. On the other hand ecotecs are a pretty strong engine, even though some people give them crap. At 200ks you are playing with fire especially if the car doesn't have service history..... Always get an RACQ check if in doubt, they will go over it and tell you all the little things wrong with it.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Ecotec's will go for up to 500,000km I am told (I can only vouch for 440,000km) if serviced every 10,000km. They are damned tough engines, mine was never babied (wasn't thrashed either) by my old man and he drove it for more than 10 years. Still going strong.

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
heaps of choice out there

i reckon you can find any number of <150,000km VT VXs especially if you only want a v6 auto

v6 manual will be hard going though

Kunu

chasing the big 300!!!
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
97VT SSsuper6(179rwkw),daily barina,2008 VE Clubby
Last edited:

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Id Look for a VX with around 150,000, but still seen a few fleet telstra cars with over 400ks and still purr, yet i would be worried about most pumps attached

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
if your not after power man then keep away from the Performance SS's and alike, as most of these types of cars have been hammered their life and will probably give you problems sometime

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Yeah not really after power, just got a really good offer for the VR so need to buy something to get me around ASAP.. just a basic vt or vx is the way im thinking of going.

Cheers for the responses:)