Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a VZ thats done 200,000+ kms

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
The sooner people realise what these cars are made for and stop trying to get blood out of a stone the better, for the car and the future owners of said car.
They're a 1500/1600kg slug thats made to get the kids from school, or go shopping in.
LOL so they are putting these into the new camaros for school days?

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi mates, I'd just like to say that the Commodore is indeed a very good car mechanically, and very pleasant to drive :dance: I have a lovely VZ Executive with 152,xxx on the clock. Had her for just over a year now.

There are some downsides however. They're small and can be fixed, but can become very annoying... specifically those darn sensors :computer:

If any minor thing changes very slightly out of the ordinary in her system, she'll howl and cry and flash "Service Vehicle Soon", "Safety Mode", "Reduced Performance" at you etc. In other words, making a big issue out of nothing (in my opinion). Mine suddenly got all upset today with the problem mentioned, I'm sending her to Holden tomorrow to see why she's got the blues.

The last time she got mad at me like that was just after I bought her, turned out she just needed some software updating :p

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
As everybody knows, buying a second hand car is a speculative experience. You really do not know what you are buying, nor can you realistically accept as truth the history of the car e.g. service, driving style etc.

Cars that have changed over over several times and often have fallen into the hands of the fabled 20-somethings with a lust for performance, mods and speed ... well, I would think cars like the VZ-VY would have been thrashed and trashed about and not given all that much attention to service. I'm not going to tar all 20-somethings with the same brush: I've known a number who have truly looked after everything imaginable, far beyond what a Holden techie would look at. But landing on a car that looks good is still speculative. If during the test drive (which should be done at urban speeds as well as freeway cruising to work the car through its responses) the car "appears" to be running well, move onto the next assessment: that of the service history. Any large gaps between services are often not adequately explained by dealers. Has the car had oil and transmission/clutch services at the required intervals (oil changes definitely no more than 12,000km for Alloytec engines, ideally 7,xxxkm if just urban driving).

A pretty face is one thing, but I look long and hard at the service history when scouting for cars, and try and by ex-fleet or Services. So what if they are thrashed, at least they are serviced properly! Friends have ex-Police, CFA cars (sedans and wagons) bought years ago and still in excellent shape.

Be aware that older cars will have emergent problems e.g. starter motor, fuel pump, brakes ... all of which can cost a lot of money sooner than one expects. Hedge your bets and look for a car with lots of history and sensible driving.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
LOL so they are putting these into the new camaros for school days?

Basically... If you wanted a performance orientated vehicle, then you'd go with the option of the 426hp 6.2L LS3 , and if fuel economy was on you agenda then you'd most likely opt for the Automatic option, which comes with the 400hp 6.2L L99 which has Active fuel Management, more or less Displacement on Demand, shuts of cylinders when not needed.

(Aside from the ZL1, thats running a supercharged and intercooled LSA V8, which is rumoured to be putting out something closer to 550hp)

To say that they are putting the Alloytec into the Camaro for their power, is down right stupidity. Clearly power was not a major factor when choosing that engine for the base models. But more for the people that want the same styling of the camaro, with out all the extra power. Just to drive the kids to school, or get some groceries.

vzcomy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 3.6
Im kinda worried about it. I hope it lasts me for a long time to come.. If I service it correctly, can I still have some fun with it? (hard acceleration occasionally) (no skids, burnouts Ofcourse as 20" tires are messy on your wallet)

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Mate you worry too much, have a look around at other second hand cars are on the market for 6 grand. 99% of them are much older than your VZ, and rubbish.
Just drive it how you please. put your foot down when you want and have some fun. Just don't sit on the red line all day or it will suffer like any other car. Whats the worst that can happen ? your alloytec blows up and you go buy a brand new motor or second hand motor for somewhere between 2-5grand which will give you 10 more years of reliable service from your car.
Did you get the service book with your car ? check who's name is in the book as original owner, probably an ex fleet car.

vzcomy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 3.6
Yeh when i bought it, the REVS certificate said that the first owner was "LARGE FLEET" type.. i dont know what that means... is that good or bad?

VZ_commo91

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ commodore Acclaim
I would have to say, you are worrying way to much. With ANY car you get, you will get problems. No car is perfect, regardless if it has a perfect service history.
The commodore is an excellent car. I'm only 20, so I'm in go karts line of " get the most power out of it. " Every now and then, it gets taken to red line, But I service mine all the time, with quality oils and fuel.
2 years with that and no major problems.