Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a VZ, what to look for?

patch_werk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Calais Veesex
G'day Guys, long time browser first time poster here

I have been tossing around the idea of buying a VZ commodore (SV6 or calais preferred, but exec may be closer to my uni budget :p ) for a while now as an upgrade for the hyundai, and have now got the funds to do it this week, being a uni student i cant afford too much in the way of v8 insurance :(, nor can i afford to do any larger mods (19s, lowering, exhaust..) until next summer when i go back up to the miens for vacation work but gradually i will add to it to make it how i want :), and be able to post pictures in this forum that i can be proud of myself, rather than staring amazed at others hehe

So i was wondering, do any VZ owners/ anybody really know of anything to look out for when buying a used VZ?, besides the obvious things like try and get the 190 alloytec etc.

So yeah :), basicly this is my introduction

Cheers, Matt

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
Look for oil leaks, if its a manual pay attention to clutch wear, the dual mass flywheels let go quite easily on them if not treated kind enough. Check for new parts bolted on, as in a shiney new pulley, belt or waterpump, and if so ask questions. Check the log book for warranty, servicing and repair work. Check the brake pad and rotor condition, new brakes are a good idea on any used car. Exhaust for holes, rattles and mounting, check light work and rev a cold engine listening for obvious rattles and defects. Check the Paint condition for any obvious accidents or 'touch up jobs' these can get you some $$ off if spotted.

These are some of the things i would check for if buying any used car not just an Alloytec.

Also, look for an impulse blue one

svsex

big blue
Reaction score
Members Ride
190 sv6
i have an impulse blue sv6 for sale hint hint, pm for details

danieLOL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
dont buy an exec, you'll only regret it lol i did since i didnt wanna spend much more at the time but the amount of money ive spent on mine i could have bought a calais, so just hold off for a bit i know your eager to get one but unless you definitely NEED it right now, my advice is to wait until u can afford a sv6 or calais

patch_werk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Calais Veesex
thanks for the replies guys!, yeah would definately prefer the sv6 or calais, seen a few around that are within my budget, much nicer looking cars, at the end of the day its a stepping stone to a v8 later on

Commy SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ SV6 A5
If its a VZ that you're after, check the paint on door handles! The paint quality on VZ door handles are shocking, all 4 on mine were replaced twice under warranty. Also get MY06 SV6 if you can ( 2006 model ), this would come standard with side airbags and LSD.

patch_werk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Calais Veesex
Yeah, have looked a couple and definately noticed the door handle paint being of very poor standard, looked a Vy S2 calais today and that looked pretty shmick as well, something else to consider

mark b

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VS 1996 V6 Auto
Agree with the door handles, also the volume up button on the steering wheel. Listen to the aircon, the blowerfan is under the glovebox and the bearings seem to dry out fast and make an annoying ticking noise. In a 175kw V6 The left oxygen sensor wiring may be too close (less than 30mm) to the exhaust manifold heat shield ( Easily fixed with a clip .)

patch_werk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Calais Veesex
thank you for all your responses guys!, i went and got me a Vy s2 calais , pick her up on friday, will post some pictures soon :)