Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying guide

Osul14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe
G'day all! My old hunk of junk has finally gone caput and over the last month I've narrowed my choice down to a series 2 Ve(wagon preferred). Was just interested in what people know to look out for when buying these? Looking around 10-13k market. Any advice on common problems, how many KMs is too many, model variance etc would be greatly appreciated! Can't wait to come back to the Holden family!

Cool D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
The price range seems high to me. I just bought a VE Omega sedan for $4700 from a dealer (they wanted $6000) but I could have got cheaper if I went private. It has 185000 km on the clock. I think you want atleast 2008 and later because of the timing chain problems. I saw lots of cars that had done about 250000 kms which I think is alot but if it has a full service history it may be ok. I think thats something to look for, a good service history or atleast regular oil changes as the V6 are good and powerfull they can be a bit delicate.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
G'day all! My old hunk of junk has finally gone caput and over the last month I've narrowed my choice down to a series 2 Ve(wagon preferred).

I've had mine a while now but was helping a Neighbour look for a S11 Wagon late last,and also earlier this year.
A$10,000 -$13,000 is a ball figure for a good one,80-150,000K with a good body.$7,000-$10,000 for a higher K model or ones with body dings.That's for a V-6,V8's are usually grabbed by Dealers but if you do find one you are probably going up into the $13,000+ for a Series 11.
Wagons go for more $ than a sedan but have a better resale if you stump up the extra cash.
If buying at auction make sure you hear the Motor running,it should be smooth with no metallic rattles of any kind,even on high K egs.
Fashionable a few years back for Journo.'s to call the Wagon a "flash looking money pit" but if properly serviced they are a world class car,huge K's being run up on them and in that respect no difference to previous Holdens.