Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bradmaggi

Reaction score
Members Ride
--
G'day people of JustCommodores.

I am thinking of purchasing a 2005 VZ Auto Executive Commodore, it is rather cheap and has some nice bodywork done to it. It is priced at $3500 (negotiable), and only has 97,000 kms. I was unable to determine the low price, and when questioned on the issues of the car he produced a list of mechanical issues that may need to be fixed in the near future. I felt as though this is the most appropriate forum to post my queries.
The mechanical faults:
  • Engine oil leak
  • Engine & Gear mount a bit worn
  • Castor Rod bushes worn both ends
  • Coolant Flush
  • Battery and Bonnet loose
  • Front brakes due
  • LH tie rod end has movement and needs replacing.
How much of this would be fixable at home? I have a lot of time to fix the issues if I am capable of doing it myself, as I am capable of getting my provisional licence in September.
If anyone is happy to advise me, would anyone know what a rough price estimate of the repairs needing to be done? The owner stated that he was able to reduce the price a little, and I am happy to spend a little extra just to get it perfect. If the repairs were done now, would there be much fixing at a later date? I don't plan on thrashing the car, and plan on looking after it and servicing it regularly.

Thank you to any and every reply to this thread.
Thanks!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
On top of the list the seller has provided, budget for a new ECM. VZ's have them fail a lot.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'd suspect the mileage. The car has a few serious faults which indicate more use than 97k and its at least a 13 year old alloytec. As already advised, avoid any early alloytec. They had more than their share of problems and an old one is trouble waiting to bite you. 3500 neg. is not a particularly good price for a VZ Exec either. Better deals are easy to find.

Last edited:

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
give it a miss mate, better cars out there, vz have a lot of problems eg timeing chains

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You honestly would be better off with the last of the VY's if you like the shape. If you need a reasonable cheap car that you can learn on, then a VT can be easily bought for under $2k. There are 100s in the wreckers so parts are plentiful and cheap. Dealers still stock some VT parts too.