Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying second had Diff, what to check and look for

A+d+a+m

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Series II R8 Clubsport Build 295
So my cars diff has decided to die on me, both the bearings and gears are ruined. I was looking into getting the diff rebuilt but in the mean time i found a Diff for $150 that suits my car.

I was just wondering what i should look for or "listen" for when checking a diff that is out of a car? the diff does have LSD. So far i know i should check the following things

- Check diff oil as it will give a rough gauge of the diffs life (metal flakes = no sale)
- Check the LSD is still tight by spinning one output shaft quickly, stopping then spinning it again to check for slip
- Turn the input shaft as quickly as possible (some would say violently) to check for backlash and worn bearings

I have a rough idea of what a broken diff sounds like going off the current diff in the car, just wondering if anyone with more experience or knowledge in this area might have any pointers or tips of the trade to check a diff without having it in the car.

If i purchase the diff i will be removing the rear cover to clean the internals and refill with oil, ill torque all the bolts and make sure everything holds tight. The diff im looking at has a 3.07 ratio (Same as current diff) to suit a Vx LS1

Hope this all makes sense

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Those three points seem pretty good to me. You really can't do much more until it's in and you do a massive burnout.

Useless post, I know, but at least it's bumped.