Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a Sportwagon

Slapster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 Omega Sportwagon
Hey blokes, couldn't find an intro section so here I am, first post. Just sold my Harley (lack of use) & updating the family wagon. My VX has been trouble free & only done 185kms but it's time for a change.

Looking at a few Sportwagons, been doing heaps of research, yet to drive a 3.0L SIDI so looking at 3.6L MY09.5 for now, reason being de-tuned up-spec engine same as SV6/Calais (please correct me if wrong). My budget is $14-15k. No hurry to buy but if the perfect car comes up I'll grab it. Any advice welcome, a couple of links below to cars I'm looking at.

2009 Holden Commodore VE International MY09.5

2010 Holden Commodore VE Omega MY10 Sports Automatic

Have driven the International wagon, bit higher in the kms than I'd like but drove nice & real tidy with perfect log books, could grab it for $14k I reckon. The '09 MY10 SIDI I haven't looked at yet but has full history & the guy has had it since 17,000kms, ex GMH car.

Any advice/thoughts welcome. Anything I should be wary of?

Cheers,
Slap.

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
Buy an SV6 or Calais is my advice! Better gearbox, slightly more power (mechanical, not detuned), more bells and whistles, and they both look nicer than an Omega. Due to time constraints we bought the first decent one we saw, an Omega.

An International is just an Omega with leather and 18" wheels, so only slight better.

Our MY09 Omega has been trouble free since we bought it 3 years ago (might have something to do with kms on it 45,000kms

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Agree with Jr. I had a 2010 SV6 SIDI Sportwagon. Couldn't fault it, great car, handled good for its size and very versatile. Had the reverse camera in the rear view mirror (option) which I still think is the best location for the camera.

They drive much nicer than the pre SIDI versions. Even the suspension is much smoother and you get the 6sd auto (assuming you want auto). The stereo was also a big improvement on my previous two SV6's. Can't comment on the 3.0 SIDI as I've only driven a couple and very briefly. Great economy but down on torque. If you're not used to the 3.6L though it may be fine.

Slapster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 Omega Sportwagon
Thanks for the input fellas. Would love an SV6 or Calais but out of reach $$ wise for now.

Drove a MY10 3.0L SIDI Omega today only 70kms full history & tidy $15.5k. First drive of the 3.0L, yep down on the torque but felt snappy enough with the 6spd auto, all up felt like a capable car.

Back to the classifieds for now.

Cheers.

Slapster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 Omega Sportwagon
Anyone here own a 3L SIDI wagon & if so how have you found it to live with as a daily driver?

I've found another tidy one a bit cheaper & taking a look this weekend.

Cheers.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
My old man Bought a 3.0 SIDI International wagon at Auction, in Evoke, very nice colour for the wagon.

I haven't heard any complaints .

The only thing I've added is a set of SV6 mufflers with the chrome tips, as the stock plain pipes looked bland, makes a nice visual difference .

There's quite a few at pickles in Perth, might be worth a look and you'll same a few grand.
but maybe don't get the bullbar , as you can't unsee this, sorry
getPublicStockImage

getPublicStockImage

Slapster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 Omega Sportwagon
Yeah cheers I've been keeping an eye on Pickles, was down there on Monday.

I'm having a look at a private sale 2010 wagon this weekend. Good price & looks tidy.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Bull bar looks like it belongs on one of those funny utes the hillbilly kids do up like Mack trucks.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I like em, Mad Pir4te stylee but cuts down vision particularly in underground car parks.
So thinking this:

su6ysary.jpg

Doesn't suit everyone but I think it would work for bouncing the odd roo and slow grey nomads.