Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a SV6

cladiges

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS commodore exec V6
gday guys.
im currnetly looking at buy either a VY or prefreably a VZ SV6. and was wondering if any one could tell me what to look for. and faults or things i should check for when i go to look at a car. and also any preformance mods i can do to it to make it go better?

im searching this forum and doing my home work to get this right

cheers
carloz

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
if you can afford it go for an 05 model. they have a few extras over the 04 model.

and just look for the usual things. log books etc

vc213

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
turn the airconditioner on and listen for a howl under acceleration. If your like me, you'll get sick of it quickly and need to have the stereo up loud constantly. (or melt without the aircon) Service manager at my dealer thinks it is just the nature of the Alloytech. But, dont know.

Nordy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
My SV6 also does it...would describe it more like a quiet whistle/whining like that of a supercharger although i wouldnt think of it as something to not buy the car for

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Black CDTi Astra 6sp manual
Come over to WA, I've seen ex WA Police SV6's go at the Auction for $22,700 with about 55-65000km on the clock.

Not much really worth looking for as if you buy an 05 model it'll still be under warranty for a while yet, so any faults will (hopefully) get fixed at Holden's expense.

Try and find one with good tyres, those Bridgestone Potenzas got around $300+ mark. I'm not a fan of replacing quality tyres with $150 cheapies.

Wait till it's out of warranty for the performance mods.

Tom/WA

Willz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turismo Sv6 with leather
vc213 - every car ive been in has made some form of whine when the a/c compressor is engaged and i dont think a sv6 is any worse than any other car (tho i havent heard your particular car, mine whines but u cant hear it over intake and exhaust noise anymore)

personally i wouldnt be paying more than 26k for an 05 sv6

thats what i paid 6 months ago for a car with 15k with leather interior and brand new rubber (was on the lot with a set of 19's and they were asking an extra 3k for the 19's-keep dreaming. asked for the std wheels and got a set of the std 17's with spankers potenza's)

the only thing that sounds iffy on them imho is racket they make when u start em up (heat shield tapping is preety annoying)

look for the 'upgraded' 05 model which came with std side airbags and lsd diff :thumbsup:

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
Come over to WA, I've seen ex WA Police SV6's go at the Auction for $22,700 with about 55-65000km on the clock.

Not much really worth looking for as if you buy an 05 model it'll still be under warranty for a while yet, so any faults will (hopefully) get fixed at Holden's expense.

Try and find one with good tyres, those Bridgestone Potenzas got around $300+ mark. I'm not a fan of replacing quality tyres with $150 cheapies.

Wait till it's out of warranty for the performance mods.

Tom/WA

one problem with ex-cop cars is this:driving:
cops don't drive cop cars nicely.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
one problem with ex-cop cars is this:driving:
cops don't drive cop cars nicely.

yeah... i dont see any bennfiit in owning an ex-copper... lots of kays in short periods... hard driving, hard acceleration, bad stigma.... meh

aZk.