Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alz0019

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 vf s1
I've recently found some used XYZ coilovers for my VF, the seller has stated that nothings wrong with them and all is working well. My question is, are there any problems with buying used coilovers? id have to double check how many kms on them, but are there certain things I should lookout for. Or should I just go for a brand new shock/spring setup?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Yeah..nah..

Too many unknown variables..unless they are dirt cheap and worth a punt, then I'd steer clear and save up for new ones.

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
I sold my XYZ’s from my VF that had about 30,000kms on them and they were in good condition.

Definitely want to check them out properly before buying though. And wouldn’t want to pay much more than $800 considering what they cost new.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
IMHO opinion unless they were a really good price, I'd rather put the money towards MCA or Shockworks. Looking at a lot of the product pages for XYZ they seem to sell a one size fits all coilover which is likely to be pretty stiff, yo uwon't be able to pick spring rates or arrange to have dampener valving to match. MCA and Shockworks will build you a set to order for your specific use like daily driving or tarmac stuff or straight up racing suspension and can make a lot of useful recommendations for you. Their products are really good for the price considering they're all built here.

Also King Springs are garbage (also a one size fits all product). Just putting that out there.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... the seller has stated that nothings wrong with them and all is working well...
That's what most sellers would say but not all sellers are truthful. And if they are so great, why sell them?

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
ive only bought second hand suspension once.. never again.
yeah it was cheap, yeah it cost me more in the end.

i also understand a redline isnt a f1 car, but i didnt spend 50+k to be sticking xyz or king springs anywhere near it.
ill be going shockworks when some certainty comes back to the world, but mca would be a very close second.

you might have different needs. and thats fine to.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Why do you guys hate king springs and xyz so much?
Ive had kings on various cars and they have been perfect,ive read on here that xyz are perfectly fine.
Is it that they are cheaper and you cant brag about them on the interwebs?

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
some people just want low, thats fine.
they can stick all the SSSSSLs on, or go XYZ which are usually touted as the coilover that will sit the lowest.

for me im not looking for low, and if im going to replace whats there, i want something that performs better.
im not really all about bragging but if that still makes me a wanker/snob/whatever so be it

ive been bitten too many times with buying the cheapest thing, only to replace it with the next cheapest thing
when i could have spent the combined money on a good thing. so now i research and buy the good thing.
if i cant afford it, i wait until i can.

i also wouldnt call shockworks or mca expensive. yeah they arent xyz cheap, they are slightly more expensive than your garden variety pedders coilovers (which i wouldnt go anywhere near again). But they arent a 5k custom/race coilover either.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Why do you guys hate king springs and xyz so much?
Ive had kings on various cars and they have been perfect,ive read on here that xyz are perfectly fine.
Is it that they are cheaper and you cant brag about them on the interwebs?

Its your money, spend it as you wish.
But you can do better, that's all...

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Thats all good,just dont know why people tend to say they are rubbish,its just not true and tbh alot of those saying it have no experiences with these products,they make their opinions from what they read on the internet.
Have either of you guys ever used king springs and xyz and had bad experiences?
King springs are 150 bucks a pair plus installation,shockworks are 2200 plus install,mca 1700-1800,how can you even compare?
From my experiences over the years king springs are no rougher a ride than stock vf ss suspension which is what they were designed to do except look alot better doing it.
Just like people taking **** about x force exhausts,there is nothing wrong with x force,ive personally had a few systems over the years and they have been great,both stainless and mild steel,its all made up internet bs,they all drone,they rust out in 2 months what a load of rubbish.
People would rather pay bulk cash for parts and if they arent happy with them they will keep their mouth shut rather than seem foolish to tell people,some will admit their high dollar dpe exhaust sounds like rubbish and rattles etc.
Bloke asks a simple question,nah bud dont buy that **** its total rubbish even though ive never even used said part to actually know,spend 3 grand and get the best or dont bother,thats the usual reply.....