Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

buying VE sv6 commodore

jackson44

Reaction score
Members Ride
no commodore yet
hello,
I am looking at purchasing a commodore as an upgrade from my current car.
Money is an issue however and I am only able to afford cars with high odometer readings.
For $10-12k what sort of kms should I expect on the vehicle and would a car with 200,000+ kms be a serious issue?
Appreciate any help

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Series 1 SV6 with around 100k km on it for that money. I'd consider a series 2 SV6, Calais, Caprice with higher kms over a series 1 though. The 6 speed is nice.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
If you can get an MY10 SV6 from late 2009 with the SIDI engines are 6 speed autos. I just traded a late 09 MY10 with 109,000 Km and only got $12500 trade in for it. The dealer put it up for sale at $14990, so if you are buying from a dealer for say $12K it would be higher Kms with a SIDI engine, or you could get an older car with lower kms for the same money. One thing as is normal with used cars, is service history is very important as these engines can be a problem if not well maintained. Service intervals are 15,000 Km and either 12 or 9 months, but if oil changes are skipped or not done on time and with quality oil, the engines can suffer badly. Personally I never had any issue with my '09 SIDI SV6 (which like many SV6's was an ex rental). I have read that the 5 speed autos can be a problem, so I assume a 6 speed auto will be a better long term prospect.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Personally, I would never buy a car with 200K on the clock, unless you know exactly its history (that would mean buying it from a mate or somebody you can really trust).
A lot more can happen during 200K, like 2 times what can happen during 100K ;-)

Avoid 2006 and 2007 models if the timing chain has not been redone (or unknown status on that).

If you're not in a hurry, like SnowDoggyDogg said, you can probably score a nice one with 100 or 120K for $12K