Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

buying VS 5ltr work done, need help,advice,guidance!

geronamo2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5LTR
Hey everyone, im new to this site, but i would love to find out as much as i can and any or all comments and feedback greatly appreciated.

I am seriously looking at buying this 95 5ltr 304 holden commodore sedan, I have a basic list of specs of what it had done to the 304 engine below:

Specs:
287 crane cam & head pack, memcal ecu,
double row timing chain, Gilmer Belt drive system,
Pacemaker extractors, 2.5in sports exhaust to twin tip,
thats the basic mods I have been told as well as a full tune when fitted 6months or 10,000k ago.

aside from the engine it has a full custom two tone half and half paint job black on silver, it has custom boot with twin rockford amps and subs(12in, 1200wRMS) it has custom bonnett similar to the boss bonnett on new fords, it has racing seats interior, it has alpine 7in DVD unit, VZ SS rims, it has personalized plates, fully lowered on pedders, CHROME window tint all around besides the front of course, it is very lumpy over 2000rpm, it has monster tacho inside, it looks mean as. but as i am not clued in about cars and the likes i need any comments or feedback i can get from YOU.

I wish to know what kind of kw/bhp is expected from the setup specs in the engine as listed above, flywheel and rwkw, from your experience or expertise, any good or bad points about the mods done to the engine please explain to me, I need as much information as possible with explanations if i am to buy this car, Also if it was your car what would you do to increase its potential powerwise, anything you would do to the engine plz let me know i am open to any comments!!!!:yeah:

if i buy car i will surely post pics, thanks again.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
First question:

How much do they want for it?

geronamo2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5LTR

asking around 15k, but i wanted general commodore public opinion based on stats first of all, and any feedback or comments so I have an idea of what i am dealing with.

:w00t:

DVOLVO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS UTE / 5 Litre Volvo /Trusty Swift
Just to add in my 20cents..
If You look hard enough you could buy a real good 5L VS for around 5 to 6k and do the rest yourself for a lot less then 9/10k..
If not buy the same or better for around 10k

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Bad point is the monster tacho:p. But that is way too much for a vs 5ltr. Unfortunatly this guy will find out that just cause he spent the money on a car, dosnt mean you add value to it and get it back.

For 15k it would have to have less than 100000km's on it, and all the bushs in the suspension would want to be brand new and would want to not be an exec, atleast a berlina or upwards with climate control, power windows ect... Plus imaculate paint work and come with a warranty. And the mods would want to be things that you would have done and will save you some money by paying a little bit extra for this car with those mods already done.

geronamo2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5LTR
hi, instead of bashing my decision could someone give me some factual information based on the stats of the cam and head kit, and what it does for the engine, and what kind of kw or bhp i would be expecting extra then the standard for a 304. The car has 2.5" exhaust and pacemakers. as well as the head and cam setup i described orginally. thanks, i would like some actual numbers and professional opinions on this. kindest regards
- also what is the situation on chrome window tint, it is very chrome and its like looking into a mirror, well 2 way mirror as you can see out but cant see in all you see is your reflection. thanks.
p.s it has lowered pedders all round.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Specs:
287 crane cam & head pack, memcal ecu,
double row timing chain, Gilmer Belt drive system,
Pacemaker extractors, 2.5in sports exhaust to twin tip,

First up, what is a "head pack"? Decked heads? Or just ported and polished? Port-matched to the exhaust? Has the valvetrain been renewed? One can only presume they've put good valve springs in there.

Double row timing chain - what brand? That doesn't really mean much. The standard timing chain is a double. You can't presume it's an adjustable timing kit, and it's not a power mod - just something to help the cam.

Gilmer belt drive - once again, this isn't a power mod, and serves NO purpose.

Exhaust is worth a small gain.

Overall, I think a good 304 will make 135rwkw, and this one is probably worth 150? Depending on the condition of the motor.

All up, the parts added are worth maybe $2000, and it would run on par with any other mild 5 litre - probably similar to a car like my Statesman which has had very little money spent on it at all.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
headwork can go against you if it is done by the wrong person. port tuning is a fine art and easily f'ed up. there is no way of estimating until you either get flow charts or strap it on a dyno.

also if the guy has thrashed the car (judging by the mods he prolly has) then the engine could be a bit tired even after 40000 kms. you just dont know. even if he didnt run the engine in properley he might have shaved 200,000 kms off the engine life.

as others have said, do it all yourself.

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
im assuming he means a 286 cam?

hagz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais v8
yeah you better of lookin round try find somethin stock and do it yourself if you willing to spend that sorta cash