Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

buying VY SS s1 or s2

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
From memory [dont have the Holden manuals in front of me]. There was upgraded exhaust to get the extra 10kW out of series 2. You have the interior changed, and the cluster has a better look. But i love my series 1. Things like interior i dont care for, series 1 will probably be easier to change things too. But depends on what you like. Wheels also changed in the Series 2. But other than that they are roughly the same. They did change the electric aerial over in the series 2. In series 1 there was a changeover period at the end where both types were used.

As for power to weight ratio:
Series 2: 147.76kW per tonne
Series 1: 146.69kW per tonne

So the Series 2 has about 1kW more power in power to weight ratios. Either way you'll enjoy it. I found i can beat the fuel rating in highway runs (just made it into the 6L/100km range on the way from Sydney to Melbourne with a fair chunk of that accelerating and de-accelerating during roadworks). So if your doing highway km's then you should be fine anyways. But i'm working on a particular mod that should lower fuel usage for V8's and supercharged 6's better than what they have now.

rydogz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Thanks for the informative post alien,

I noticed that the interior is a little different most notably the climate control but i think the interior in fine on the s1 anyway. As i will most likely change the exhaust down the track anyway and currently drive a car with ~95kw/tonne when new that doesn't have a 6sp manual gear box :yeah: either one is going to be pretty sweet. I am mainly after low kms.

I have not done any serious looking yet as I have 2 weeks of uni exams left but I have not seen alot of good cars around browsing that were near the central coast or on the net. Thinking about taking a look in sydney and newcastle.

Can anyone recommend some yards?

Cheers guys.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
LOL, my first car came from a yard, yet i find dealing with private sellers is easier and better!

No problem for the informative post, sorry i wont be able to suggest car yards though. :(

You wont be dissapointed by the 6 speed gearbox. They are awesome units. So awesome i'm gonna put one in my car :)

As for your power ratio, i guess either will be a large increase then.

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
Just for your info too, I don't know how many VY SS owners get 13 and 7 for the fuel consumption.

I mean I average around the 16 and drive quite sedate, and can get into the 8's on the freeway.

However my car is tuned, and probably gets better fuel consumption than stock.

mine is also tuned and gets around thae 13 and 7 mark. thats not driving like a nanna either.

rydogz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Yeah I have been to a couple yards and being 22 it is hard to get salesmen to take me seriously and get a test drive etc where as private sellers are easier to deal with. Might grab the trading post tomorrow and have a look.

Perhaps changing things like diff gears and differences in tunes are accountable for the consumption differences everyone is quoting?

Just as yet another thing to look forward too after getting this car and saving a few dollars what sort of rear wheel power figures have some of you guys with headers/cats/exhaust, otrcai and a mafless tune achieved?:D

Cheers guys.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Just tune it first before you muck around with diffs and stuff. As mentioned a tune will make all the difference to power and economy.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Major changes introduced with the Series II include: A new high-output GEN III 5.7 litre V8 engine, producing peak power of 245kW @ 5,600rpm, is now specified on Commodore SS sedan, SS Ute, and SV8. Holden Calais and Berlina models benefit from a GEN III V8 power boost to 235kW @ 5,200rpm. ECOTEC V6, Supercharged V6 and GEN III V8 powerplants are engineered to meet strict new emission level requirements. 245kW V8s gain additional frontal rigidity from a strut brace mounted to the strut towers and spanning the engine bay.

All models feature fresh, individual interior trim treatments. Convenience and comfort features such as cruise control, front power windows and adjustable front seat lumbar support are now standard across the range, and a sunglasses holder and rear reading lamps are now standard fitment on all sedans and wagons.

Calais and Acclaim models receive the added safety benefit of active head restraints, all models are equipped with audible and visual driver's seatbelt warning, and steering column modifications across the new range assist in reducing the risk of occupant injury in a frontal crash.

Also available for the first time, a tailored, factory fitted sunroof is optional on all sedans. All wagons are fitted with aircraft-style cargo rails in the rear compartment for extra tie-down security and flexibility, and load-covering retracting roller blinds are standard fitment. Wagons have new jewelled tail lamps with a circular design theme.

The Calais now takes on a more European-accented sports persona. Stand-out styling accents include a bolder front facia with sports bar grille and hexagonal mesh inserts, black bezel headlamps, lower ride height, SS-style side skirts, 17-inch five-spoke alloy wheels, rear facia skirts and unique tail lamps. Interiors are highlighted by all-black headliner and pillar trim, sports profile steering wheel, unique facia and colour-keyed console surround and suede-finish soft fabric trim. Extra luxury touches include Caprice-style driver's seat memory settings and heated 'memory' exterior mirrors. When reverse gear is selected, the passenger-side mirror dips to show low level hazards.

Berlina models are distinguished by twin fog lamps, black lower facia mouldings and nine-spoke alloy wheels. More luxurious interior finishes include new monotone seat trim in soft velour, leather-wrapped steering wheel, handbrake and auto shifter and satin chrome highlights.

The S and SV8 now have body-coloured grille and rear licence plate surrounds and spoiler-mounted stop lamps with clear lens. Both feature new alloy wheels - five-spoke on the S, which receives larger 17-inch wheels, and dual five-spoke on the SV8 - are matched to new-specification tyres, tuned for improved handling and firmer, quieter ride characteristics. Body coloured exterior mirrors and amber indicator lenses also set the SV8 apart.

From Holden VY Commodore / Calais

rydogz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Thanks for the informative reply danja, cheers.

Had a drive of a black S1 6sp w/ red leather today and everything felt pretty nice but I expected a little more throttle response from her. Maybe I am just used to 6s. Very comortable and cruizy to drive though and quite sedate but lumpy in the low rev ranges.

Also had to whine the window down to sample the note, little bit on the quiet side. Im guessing the factory intake/exhaust is pretty low key.

Any feedback is welcome.

jamesl_VTSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
[PHATSS]
yeh the factory exhaust is very crap, once the revs are up to about 2500 you can hear it albeit a very quiet V8 sound.