Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bye bye gearbox

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I was on the freeway tonight coming up anthony's cutting into melbourne, the auto dropped back into 3rd - fair enough, its a big hill. Got to the other side, still in 3rd, wouldnt shift up. Pulled off into Melton, and I had no 4th, 2nd would only crunch and grind, and I also have no reverse.

So I got towed all the way back to Oakleigh, and am now weighing up my options over as many beers as I can find.
Tomorrow I'm ringing a few places to find out who can put in a new gearbox for me, but how much extra will I be looking at to get either a shift-kitted, strong auto put in, or to go all the way with a manual conversion?
The car is a s2 vs v6 by the way.
Anyone who knows a good transmission place around oakleigh who wouldn't charge a poor student an arm and a leg would be appreciated as well

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
putting in a cheap "anybodys guess" second hand one off ebay or f/s section here not an option??

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I'd rather go with the "probably not gunna leave you stranded" option if I can avoid it

EDIT: but that said, at the moment I'm probably looking at getting a reco'd one put in as the cheapest option. I'm just wondering how much more the others would cost

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
I'm in brisbane but prices shouldn't be to different i'm guessing

I've given up on autos but did a fair bit of research into it and got quoted anywhere between 2000-2800 for a strengthened box (corvette servo, extra clutches, stage two shift kit) different shops do different packages but its all around that ball park. Another shop builds a box with a hardened input shaft, kevlar bands etc etc depends what sort of money you want to spend.

A plain recon box can be had from 1200-1400$ if you ring around.

If your in need of a cheap box hit up some wreckers, around here they range from 200-385 (some come with a 3 month warranty) and are a quick fix to get you out of trouble.

A manual conversion depends on the shop not to sure what a shop would charge but have heard 4k is ballpark (don't hold me to that), Or if you look around you can find a conversion kit and do it yourself for around 2k. I bought my kit for $500 but that was secondhand minus a clutch or loom.

Your best bet is to ring around and find out what the shops near you have to offer, and decide how much money you want to spend on your car.

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
hey mate,
Although the situation seems like a dull one, theres a slight brightside to it, as said above, if youe ver wanted to do a manual conversion, now would be the time! Even if you have to get a kit freighted from interestate to you, a kit can cost about $500 + New clutch / pressure plate ($300) and you could install it yourself, manuals are far better than autos in so many aspects but mainly the fact you control the car alot more and can push it right to its limits, if it were my choice id go for it! To hell with recon auto boxes for $1000+ and cheap untrustworthy boxes from the wreckers and onto brighter days with a manual! You'll NEVER regret it :)

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
yer can cost 500 if your lucky, then again most flywheels are going for about 350 to 400 a good manual box about 400 to 500 and the rest is about 500 then add the clutch onto it

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I rang a couple places today and got quoted around $2000 to get a reco box installed, and about $3-400 more to get mine rebuilt. This seems a bit steep compared to what I have heard, so I guess I'll have to keep looking.
If every quote I get is that high, a manual conversion won't be on the cards anytime soon

VZHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
z
I was on the freeway tonight coming up anthony's cutting into melbourne, the auto dropped back into 3rd - fair enough, its a big hill. Got to the other side, still in 3rd, wouldnt shift up. Pulled off into Melton, and I had no 4th, 2nd would only crunch and grind, and I also have no reverse.

So I got towed all the way back to Oakleigh, and am now weighing up my options over as many beers as I can find.
Tomorrow I'm ringing a few places to find out who can put in a new gearbox for me, but how much extra will I be looking at to get either a shift-kitted, strong auto put in, or to go all the way with a manual conversion?
The car is a s2 vs v6 by the way.
Anyone who knows a good transmission place around oakleigh who wouldn't charge a poor student an arm and a leg would be appreciated as well

man thats pretty fked! woulda cost alot aswell..
as for the tranny i got auto full rebuilt at RVO Automatics in Dandy
Off cheltenham rd. Dave is the owner and knows his **** specialy with 4L60E trannyy's.
im from south oakleigh my self and got mine built from him about 6months ago for $1750
with strong internals designed to be abused and can take 330rwkw he reckons and comes with a 1 year unlimited km waranty.

ive got the following parts in my box atm

* corvette servo
* Full Rebuilt 4L60E with Corvette Servo
* Heavy Duty Clutch Kit
* Recoed Stall Converter
* RVO Custom Shift Kit
* Steel Forward Piston Kit
* Hiflow Pump & Rotor

it shifts pretty firm through out all the gears 1st to 2nd is more noticeable but 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th is firm to under load
hope this helps

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
man thats pretty fked! woulda cost alot aswell..
as for the tranny i got auto full rebuilt at RVO Automatics in Dandy
Off cheltenham rd. Dave is the owner and knows his **** specialy with 4L60E trannyy's.
im from south oakleigh my self and got mine built from him about 6months ago for $1750
with strong internals designed to be abused and can take 330rwkw he reckons and comes with a 1 year unlimited km waranty.

ive got the following parts in my box atm

* corvette servo
* Full Rebuilt 4L60E with Corvette Servo
* Heavy Duty Clutch Kit
* Recoed Stall Converter
* RVO Custom Shift Kit
* Steel Forward Piston Kit
* Hiflow Pump & Rotor

it shifts pretty firm through out all the gears 1st to 2nd is more noticeable but 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th is firm to under load
hope this helps

Oh really...is there any chance you could PM me a number for them, as my 30 sec google search came up blank.