Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bye bye VH.....Hello Grandpa Pack VL

sidecar44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Grandpa Pack
Hey all,
been a bit slow posting of late but anyways......
Ive had a win and found a shmick one owner VL Exec.It belonged to an old fella who had to hide it from his family as they didnt want him driving due to ill health.
Cheeky bugger had it hidden at his holiday house and never had a chance to drive it.....well only 114,000kms so I wanst to sure what to expect on my way to pick it up.

Well this thing is absolutely unmarked nor even the tiniest of dents on the body.Interior is like brand new and even has the factory cassette player.
The bootlid requires new paint as the rear end hung out a little bit from his carport and was exposed to the sun,but for a slab of VB it will soon be fixed :)
Came with reg and a cleanskin RWC,ie it passed first go with nothing needed.

Its a 6cyl auto that has had the headgasket and coolant replaced recently as the old fella's next door neighbour(RACV Mech) looked after its servicing from day one and was the one who I dealt with during the purchase.
Im a mechanic myself so I could see he wasnt trying on any bullshit during the sale and was a top bloke in all so Im one very chuffed VL owner.

Sadly my old trusty VH which has served me SO SO well for 8 years from towing stupood heavy loads, to doing warp 12 well the trimatic finally said get stuffed Im going to heaven :( motor still runs a treat :)
Anyways its looking a tad sad now after removing the good bits and will see its final demise on Flogbay.

Heres the new girl......to be named

RIP Stephanie :(

Attachments

• All Commodores 1.jpg
    All Commodores 1.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 881
  • All Commodores 6.jpg
    All Commodores 6.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 930
  • All Commodores 2.jpg
    All Commodores 2.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 653

ncass11

Reaction score
Members Ride
'81 Diesel Hilux / '75 Landrover series 3
nice mate very clean vl

sidecar44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Grandpa Pack
cheers guys,its been a GREAT car to drive....sure is far more comfy than the VH.
I havnt really done a thing to it yet,apart from fit the rear window louvre.I stumbled across some VE 16' interceptors and am looking at decent rubber to fit to em.
Fitted a Hayman Reece towbar last weekend but that was a major pain in the left buttock as it was originally to suit upto VH and not the VL.....so after some slight rear bar mods it now fits a treat.

Next job is to finally get around to fitting the sound system as Ive finally got everything needed to do it......except enuff time!

Nath,
I paid $3000 with 10 months reg and rwc,probably a lil bit on the highish side but still compared to what was around at the time it was the pick of the litter.I spotted a silver one in Sydney asking $10990 as it had 0nly 27,000km on it but the interior was a bit marked,where as mine was near perfect but had a few more km's.

Apart from a sound system,interceptors,and some window tinting I dont plan on doing much as I dont want to bastardize it to much as it will lose its value.
I even changed jobs recently so Id be doing far less kms each week to preserve it a bit,went from doing 100-140km everyday to just 16km so it should be a lot better on its life.

Beardie

NDK
Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL Turbo, 1984 VK Berlina v8, 1998 VT Wagon
thats one super clean VL mate, looks factory fresh!

if it was mine i would get a factory turbo set up, add a front mount and run like 8 pound, that amount of boost wont stress the engine or driveline and will make the car oh so much more fun to drive. leave the rest of it looking stock and it will surprise many ppl as well :)

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
hahaha +1 for the grampa wind deflector on the drivers window.... it must be mandatory when ya get to a sertin age they issue you one

nice car man ya dont find to many like this anymore cant wait to see what ya do with her

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
In the words of Mal "She'll be with you to the day you die", look after that car mate, absolutely great pick up there.

sidecar44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Grandpa Pack
Hey guys, muchos appreciated for the comments
been agonizing as to what to do with her......first up she is here for life would have loved a Calais but this is better than a kick in the nuts I suppose.
I swapped out the dash for a full instrument type and have sorted the wheels(16x8 Interceptors(yawn)) but will wait till she needs new shoes then slip the 16's on.
Still debating as to put an audio system in her,the AM/FM cassette deck is really doing my head in so it looks likely the Focals will get used.
Have scored a discbrake diff for free,will rebuild it and slip it in over winter.
Next week or 2 Ill be doing the timing belt and a full service aswell,have the parts ready but no bloody time! lol