Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bypassed heater, overheating

anf355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
engine bay small.jpg
The heater core is leaking in my VB Como, I temporarily bypassed it until I repair this core, I done this by running one of the original core hoses around to the thermostat housing again, is this correct.

I haven't driven it but noticed on idle the temp is getting over 3/4, I tried flushing air from system but still the same, i reconnected an old vk heater core back into the cooling system but still no change in temp.

Lastly, I removed the thermostat which looked all intact and ran without one, it seemed to keep the temp down to just over half.

I've only had the car 2 weeks prepping to register it, has new heater hoses, new radiator, twin thermo fans. Before removing the core the temp was always fine.

Could it be blocked air in the system, is my bypass correct, if not could I have damaged my pump if it wasn't done correctly done?

cheers Anf

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I would start by taking such a big loop out of that hose that you have looped upwards. If you haven't got another hose you can use, remove that one from the thermostat housing and hold it straight vertical, then pour water straight down it until it comes out of the hose then reattach it to the housing. Bleed up the reset of the system as normal and give that s try.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Blank off the 2nd hose as it's allowing to much coolant to flow directly back to the waterpump from the thermostat that's not going through the radiator first.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I agree with immortality. Too much bypass available to the water flow.
Remove giant hose loop and blank off both outputs. Or if that isnt possible for you squash the hose and ziptie it so it is super restrictive for water to flow through it.

anf355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB Commodore
ok, great, thanks for the response, I can see how this would be causing some issues now.

Cheers for the insight