Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bypassing the 2012 VE SS Blutooth for something better?

JayKayWilliams

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV S1
Hi all I had a quick look and couldn't find any forums regarding this topic- if I missed one please forgive me- can you do me the favour of linking it below? thank you.

I recently bought a VE SS 2012 and I am beyond disappointed with how sh***y the audio system is in nearly ALL aspects- lets not even get started on the center speaker, nor the speakers in general... I 'upgraded' from a 2005 VZ Berlina with an aftermarket head unit so I believe I've been a little spoilt for ease of use. I start the car up, it connects automatically to the phone within a few seconds (usually a very minor delay- 10 seconds?) and immediately begins playing my own music. no hassle, not buttons, nothing, it does it all by itself.

BUT the VE is another situation.
The VE takes so long to connect to my phone (perhaps upwards of 30 seconds) and on start up plays stored music on my car (idk if this is stock to the system OR from the old owners). I can't figure out how to change its default audio source to BT audio. The screen also seems unresponsive during this 30 seconds and will continue doing whatever the hell it wants until it finally connects, it then delays this further by showing a dialogue box telling me that it finally connected, and then I can finally change the audio source to bluetooth, before beginning my journey. Some may not understand, but from going from no needed input to a lot of waiting and necessary input SUCKS.

Has anyone tried bypassing it but using a USB dongle to connect to the car via the USB/AUX jack in the center console? or is there a way to improve how bad the stock BT is? Personally don't want to spend the upwards of $500 getting a new head unit if possible, but I'm not afraid of minor mods to fix the problem if I can do it myself.

P.S. I hope the picture works I'm thinking something along the likes of that to 'bypass' stock BT and go aftermarket instead. I'm hoping it will automatically detect the input and switch to this source without need for me to change audio every time.

Attachments

• 61ePAOziGGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61ePAOziGGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 116

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Welcome to the VE IQ system.....
You should be able to delete the 'stored music', that must have been from the previous owner.
You can improve the audio by removing/ disconnecting the center speaker, make a big difference.
IQ Bluetooth is ok for phone conversations, but crappy at streaming music.
You can try ripping music as high bit rate MP3's and storing on a USB thumb drive, the IQ media player is probably its best feature.

I'm sure there will be other members here with more recommendations.

JayKayWilliams

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV S1
@Imoengnr,
yes- welcome indeed I so far am not enjoying my stay with the VE IQ lol... I'll look more into it hopefully I can clear it out... its not terrible but i just dont like it playing anything it has rather that what I want.
ah yes thank you for that I had already gone and done it- a decent improvement but still not happy with what a step down it is comparative to the VZ- I'll probably end up doing a minor overhaul so that it has SOME bass rather than none.
That's an option I guess but I'm the kind of person that prefers online playlists I continually add to as downloading will end up being a big job for however many songs are in my playlists. I guess I'll look into it more to see if its worth accomodating to its system rather than trying to get around it.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
@Imoengnr,
yes- welcome indeed I so far am not enjoying my stay with the VE IQ lol... I'll look more into it hopefully I can clear it out... its not terrible but i just dont like it playing anything it has rather that what I want.
ah yes thank you for that I had already gone and done it- a decent improvement but still not happy with what a step down it is comparative to the VZ- I'll probably end up doing a minor overhaul so that it has SOME bass rather than none.
That's an option I guess but I'm the kind of person that prefers online playlists I continually add to as downloading will end up being a big job for however many songs are in my playlists. I guess I'll look into it more to see if its worth accomodating to its system rather than trying to get around it.

Check out some threads by @Fu Manchu , I know you can convert to a Series 1 set up, then go aftermarket head units.
I think the SSV's had subs in the rear parcel shelf, driven by a small amp located near the battery.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The subs are pretty good for what they are. The improvements need to come from better headunit and better speakers.

I too love getting in the VZ and instantly having more user friendly tech connected via the phone. Better maps, nav, music functions, speakers. The list goes on and on.

Then I get in the VE and feel sad.

JayKayWilliams

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV S1
So a really weird update: my car was being detailed by a mate and he realised the tweeters were aftermarket- I had no idea what stock looked like so I hadn't noticed. Turns out all the speakers in the doors have been changed to an aftermarket system! I can see a silver cross shape through the cover which leads me to believe the subs might be unplugged! or perhaps they just aren'y getting any power after an amp might have been removed by a previous owner. I'm yet to open it all up and find out what they are but potentially I might be in need of a new amp/sub to correct the missing bass!

Looks like it may also be potentially a worthwhile investment to get a headunit with inbuilt amp to utilise the aftermarket speakers correctly AND fix my awful BT connection times.

@lmoengnr I see thanks for that, but unfortunately I only have an SS model not the SSV- I had a look anyway and I couldn't locate the amp that's supposed to be near the battery. So I'm not sure if I'd have subs in there or not- I'll look at a manual I bought and see what I can find out about them.

@Fu Manchu it breaks my heart a little that I'll need to sell it (the VZ) when its such a nice car but I just don't have anywhere to store a car if I'm not using it :c such a small amount for such a lovely car too. I'll probably only get 3.5 max, but at least I know whoever next takes it on will be getting something great. some learner driver can love it in my place, and hopefully not kill it LOL

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
So a really weird update: my car was being detailed by a mate and he realised the tweeters were aftermarket- I had no idea what stock looked like so I hadn't noticed. Turns out all the speakers in the doors have been changed to an aftermarket system! I can see a silver cross shape through the cover which leads me to believe the subs might be unplugged! or perhaps they just aren'y getting any power after an amp might have been removed by a previous owner. I'm yet to open it all up and find out what they are but potentially I might be in need of a new amp/sub to correct the missing bass!

Looks like it may also be potentially a worthwhile investment to get a headunit with inbuilt amp to utilise the aftermarket speakers correctly AND fix my awful BT connection times.

@lmoengnr I see thanks for that, but unfortunately I only have an SS model not the SSV- I had a look anyway and I couldn't locate the amp that's supposed to be near the battery. So I'm not sure if I'd have subs in there or not- I'll look at a manual I bought and see what I can find out about them.

@Fu Manchu it breaks my heart a little that I'll need to sell it (the VZ) when its such a nice car but I just don't have anywhere to store a car if I'm not using it :c such a small amount for such a lovely car too. I'll probably only get 3.5 max, but at least I know whoever next takes it on will be getting something great. some learner driver can love it in my place, and hopefully not kill it LOL

Oh dear, aftermarket speakers dont play nicely with the IQ, it wont have enough power to drive them.
A standard SS will have a center speaker, 2 tweeters in the dash, and a speaker in each door.(for sedans)
An SSV/Redline will be similar, with a pair subs in the parcel shelf.(sedan only)(wagons dont have subs)(utes have subs in the bottom of the B pillars)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... aftermarket speakers dont play nicely with the IQ, it wont have enough power to drive them...
Aren’t the standard Holden speakers rated at 2WΩ while most aftermarket speakers are rated at 4WΩ which is the reason aftermarket speakers don’t play nice with IQ amp?

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Aren’t the standard Holden speakers rated at 2W while most aftermarket speakers are rated at 4W which is the reason aftermarket speakers don’t play nice with IQ amp?

Correct, but ohms, not watts.