Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Byron Bay Tradgedy & Curfew

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
don't get me wrong, i sympathise deeply for those killed in the recent crash, but if they try and put a curfew on young drivers now that they have brought up the issue, i know i'll be outraged as well as others. :ranting:

your thoughts?
(people started driving past me today and giving me really dirty looks, i have a commodore club sticker on my car)

i think it'll probbably only apply to new p platers. if it ever happened....

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
don't p-platers have a curfew already? or is this for certain age groups?

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8

qwertsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
It will be ignored by p plater's. There is hardly any police out on the road as it is to enforce the law if it was passed and the majority of p plater's dont have their p plate's on display anyway. They have already screwed us over by not allowing us to drive powerfull car's, tho if a curfew is enforced it wont concern me as i already am on my P's and it will most likely stand for new p plater's.

KingDiamond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Oh well, I never drive anywhere but to work anyways, too much $$ to do random driving and hooning.

And the no cops on the road statement is too true. I see a cop car on the roads like once a week around here..

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
hey, if it makes you guys feel any better, QLD transport went over p-plate laws in nsw and vic, and said 99% of it was draconian. it's been proven that the powerful car ban, speed restriction, passenger limitation and driver curfew are just ways to tether the younger generation, as none of these have been a major contributor to the carnage on the roads.
Also, a study has shown that the 15% fastest drivers, and the 80% slowest drivers are the most likely crash. those that travel at 5-10km/h above the speed limit are the least likely to crash.
and how many small cars like hyundai, toyota etc have you seen in a ditch or around a pole?

Mr Squishi

Need Beer.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 VN SS (Auto)
The local new here mentioned something about mandatory defensive driving courses in that story, but i missed most of it.
Tassie doesn't have a curfew yet and p platers can drive whatever the hell they want, as long as its a car. Unless they changed that rule in the past year.
And I haven't seen a cop in my home town for two weeks now.

minux

Infidel Bear
Reaction score
Members Ride
300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
And once again, lack of young driver education and ways to prevent these accidents is ignored by the govt. If the government funded compulsory drive days held by qualified professionals in both car safety, medical personnal(to explain risks of speeding etc) this could all be prevented, but nooo, it would be stupid to spend money on a worthwhile cause when they can spend that money on trotting around the country courtesy of us.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
And once again, lack of young driver education and ways to prevent these accidents is ignored by the govt. If the government funded compulsory drive days held by qualified professionals in both car safety, medical personnal(to explain risks of speeding etc) this could all be prevented, but nooo, it would be stupid to spend money on a worthwhile cause when they can spend that money on trotting around the country courtesy of us.
when i did my defensive drivers course i remember the instructors telling us about how the government wont provide any funding for these courses because they think they are useless and wont help the road situation at all. its bullsh*t. i learnt a lot more about how to handle my car from that course

minux

Infidel Bear
Reaction score
Members Ride
300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
when i did my defensive drivers course i remember the instructors telling us about how the government wont provide any funding for these courses because they think they are useless and wont help the road situation at all. its bullsh*t. i learnt a lot more about how to handle my car from that course
Mate, i am 28, in the last 12 months i have done 4 different courses, granted alot are for fun such as the rally extreme course etc, but they all teach one fundamental lesson. HOW TO DRIVE. The government is just a joke, i know NTIA do not get funding for these courses for the same reasons. Even at my age, i learnt alot.