Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

c.o.m.e. racing

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i just thought i would share with everyone an email i just got from sam, co-owner of c.o.m.e. racing, in reply to an email i had sent to them.
i bought my stroker engine from these guys a few months ago, for anyone that doesnt know, and i was (and still am) very happy with it...it is a great engine, and for daily driving its awesome (the torque is rediculous!).
in my email i told sam about my low rwhp figure when put on the dyno on the weekend and simply asked for some advice on what may need attention and any possible further mods to unleash some better hp at the rears. i also mentioned that it should have made alot more power than it did going off the 220kw quoted for engine power. i was quite polite and wasnt having a go at him or c.o.m.e's products, i just wanted some guidance as to why it only got what it did and how to fix that.
as you can see, he took it completely the wrong way and blasted me...so this is the kind of after sale customer service you can expect from c.o.m.e.

"You dyno fools are beyond belief. Do you really care what a dyno says? Why don't you race that clown with the 3.8 instead of worrying about dyno numbers. No one told you or quoted rear wheel figures. We quote only flywheel numbers. Wheelspin on a chassis dyno can cost you a lot of power. The ported heads makes a very big difference in conjunction with a larger cam. That's all you need to do. The manifold won't help much although we have made pretty noticeable gains by porting the lower manifold base runners and port matching them to the ported heads. All these mods add up tremendously. Injectors, MAF sensors and high ratio rockers are all BS. Sam"

after talking to some of the dyno operators at the comp i was in, i have since discovered (this was after emailing sam...otherwise i wouldnt have bothered contacting him) that the two biggest factors for the under-par figure was that i had alot of wheelspin...lots of torque and 18" rims with low profile tires dont make for much traction....and the tune is pretty sh*t for making the most out of the engine (its serverly under-tuned)...its a c.o.m.e. tune.
so while c.o.m.e. may be able to spanner together a great engine, their tuning and customer service leaves alot to be desired, just thought id share my experience.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah man that sucks for the amount of cash you sent their way you should have got some respect. Also I've seen some c.o.m.e tunes from the stroker 5 liters they make and they are very very mild. Apart from that I'm sure the engine is pretty quick, I can also understand his anti dyno attitude as there really is a lot of bullshit involved in alot of dyno readings and some dynos can read way lower or higher than others and the numbers can be fudged.

You would get a much better idea of how much power it has from a mph reading on the 1/4 or 1/8th mile as dynos can vary alot and in the end how fast it gets from point a to point b is all that matters

smaddock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive S2
greenfoam said:
Also I've seen some c.o.m.e tunes from the stroker 5 liters they make and they are very very mild. Apart from that I'm sure the engine is pretty quick, I can also understand his anti dyno attitude as there really is a lot of bullshit involved in alot of dyno readings and some dynos can read way lower or higher than others and the numbers can be fudged.

You would get a much better idea of how much power it has from a mph reading on the 1/4 or 1/8th mile as dynos can vary alot and in the end how fast it gets from point a to point b is all that matters

I'd have to completely agree. I know a few tuners and they have all had many COME tunes brought in for retuning, and have gained quite alot of power due to COME's tunes being very conservative. But then again, it is an off-the-shelf - one-size-fits-all chip, so you can't really expect too much. This is why people say to not bother paying the $500-$600 for an off the shelf chip, and just pay the additional $400-$500 in the first place for a custom tune. And no I'm not having a go at you for your decision, I only offer the advice, it doesn't mean I follow it as I usually use off-the-shelf tunes :)

And also, if I was you I'd just get it to the 1/4 mile for a real world figure. Sure, a dyno number is good, but its torque that wins races, and from what you've said, you have plenty of it :) So I say give it a go and have a few runs, you may be surprised...

Oh, and that response from COME is quite unprofessional. They could have at least shown you some respect considering you bought the whole lot off them. They should have been a little less harsh and a little more understanding. But then again, you never know, Sam might have just been having a bad day, we all have them :)

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
yeah, i realise chassis dyno's aren't the most accurate thing for calculating power, but still, you would expect more.
thats not the first email like that ive got off him, he was "nice as pie" when i would speak to him before i bought the stroker.
but contacting him after-sale he is blunt, arrogant and just plain rude most of the time...completely different to how he was before, thats what makes me annoyed.
ive also got another reply from sam, after i replied to the one i posted above, lol...i threw any sort of curtesy out the window after reading that one and let him have it. i wont post it, but let just say he attacks me on serveral occasions, for "whinning like a girl"..."not having a brain" and "if i dont like his attitude to get over it, you oversensitive little individual".
you can tell he's holding back alot, trying not to acutally loose it, but ive made him quite angry.
anyway, im not going to go on about it, i know whats wrong now, so ill fix it and see how i go....
oh, and a 1/4 is on the cards too, my brothers' going to lend me his mickey thompsons to use for dyno tuning and on the track.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Im still following this to see how you go, but that response from C.O.M.E. looks to seal the deal for me...and just get a rebuild and a S/C, f*** the stroker from COME.

When you spend so much money at a place you expect great service in response, and for them to reply like that is utter bullshit. The more people you tell about this the better!

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
So what was the peak HP at the wheels... post your dynograph up !

4.2LV6ECOTEC-UTE

I recently strocked my v6 series 2 and am proud to tell you all that i made a happy 208rwkw, with major internal improvements. I am now faily sure that i could make 250+rwkw without forced induction.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
yeah, only made 172rwhp...as ive said in this thread and my other one though, i had no traction. i would have easily made over 200hp+ with some 15" rims with some sticky rubber (thats the opinion of both the dyno operators there, not just me guessing).
i know how bad it sounds going off those figures, but dont judge the engine just yet, it was a bad run.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
1991_Vn2nV said:
When you spend so much money at a place you expect great service in response, and for them to reply like that is utter bullshit. The more people you tell about this the better!

thats the purpose of this thread :) and with 69 views at the time of me writing this....id say word is gettin around about sam and his attitude.