Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fred Kettleman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SV6 Black Edition
Since I bought my 2016 Black Edition SV6 two months ago I get headaches after driving. Although I cant smell them I believe there are fumes entering the cabin. Had it checked out at a Holden dealer but they couldnt find anything wrong. I also have a VE and VY Commodore and dont have any problems with them. Not sure where to go next?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Have you tried going on a longer drive with the air on recirculate to prevent outside air being sucked in? Has your seating/head restraint position changed from the VY/VE? Do the windows need tinting to prevent glare from the side?.

It's very unlikely to be wayward fumes entering the cabin IMO. Modern cars generally don't have issues like those but you can always check the condition of the door and boot rubbers and the exhaust itself to make sure, although i'd hope your mechanic would have done this.

I don't know if your RMS inspection station (or equivalent) has any devices to measure exhaust fumes inside the cabin, but may be worth exploring. Let us know how you go with it.

Fred Kettleman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SV6 Black Edition
Have you tried going on a longer drive with the air on recirculate to prevent outside air being sucked in? Has your seating/head restraint position changed from the VY/VE? Do the windows need tinting to prevent glare from the side?.

It's very unlikely to be wayward fumes entering the cabin IMO. Modern cars generally don't have issues like those but you can always check the condition of the door and boot rubbers and the exhaust itself to make sure, although i'd hope your mechanic would have done this.

I don't know if your RMS inspection station (or equivalent) has any devices to measure exhaust fumes inside the cabin, but may be worth exploring. Let us know how you go with it.

Fred Kettleman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SV6 Black Edition
Hi Thanks for your reply - I have tried long trips with recirculating off, with and without a/c on which seems best. I have fitted a towbar and when backing up a trailer to spread quarry rubble on the driveway fumes seem to be coming from the boot area. Rubbers all round are good. My mechanic wasnt convinced that the pressure vents in the boot area could be the cause but a flimsy construction has me wondering? I will look to have the exhaust emissions (which are definitely stronger on the VF) checked and hopefully find someone who can measure any fumes in the cabin.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
I had this problem with a VY back in the day. I could actually smell the fuel. Turned out to be the fuel cap. It needed to be tightened further than stopping at the first few clicks. The problem went away when I figured that out.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The cabin in the vf sealed pretty good and even between the boot and passenger cabin it is pretty good which makes me wonder if you are having a reaction to the odour of the plastics within the cabin.
The vf seats and plastics release a distinctive smell which would also contain some sort of chemical that you might be having a reaction to.

Fred Kettleman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SV6 Black Edition
I had this problem with a VY back in the day. I could actually smell the fuel. Turned out to be the fuel cap. It needed to be tightened further than stopping at the first few clicks. The problem went away when I figured that out.
Thanks Pablito. Yes had that problem too but the VF cap is not venting.

Fred Kettleman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SV6 Black Edition
The cabin in the vf sealed pretty good and even between the boot and passenger cabin it is pretty good which makes me wonder if you are having a reaction to the odour of the plastics within the cabin.
The vf seats and plastics release a distinctive smell which would also contain some sort of chemical that you might be having a reaction to.
Hi thanks - I think you may be right and will get it steam cleaned to see if that helps........

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
My VF Sedan 2015 had a fuel smell in the cabin, and on occasions the cap seemed not very tight. From memory, I was told to tighten it 2 clicks after a fill. Still got the fuel smell.
Finally,,,, Holden replaced the fuel filler cap and no more smell.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Hi thanks - I think you may be right and will get it steam cleaned to see if that helps........

The fumes that @stooge is referring to are from VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) which create that "new car smell".

I'm not sure that steam cleaning will help reduce any impact from that source to be honest.