Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cable from engine bay to dash - success!

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Posting this as a potential solution for people wanting to run wires from the engine bay to the dash, as there were no solutions I could find on the forum.
This is how I did it:
Pop hood, remove wiper scuttle. It's held in by clips (the ones where you stick a screwdriver between the head and body and lift). The scuttle is in two parts, you only need to remove as many clips as cover the entire LHS assembly. I also removed the 10mm bolt on the LHS and bent the steel slightly up to give me clearance. Removing the scuttle grants you access to the cabin air filter so kill 2 birds with one stone if required. See pic (ignore yellow snake):
01.jpg

Now jack, support and remove the wheel from the LHS. Remove the wheel arch guard too. I found it's easier to remove it completely than to remove half and have it flap around. It's held in place by a few t15 torx and more clips.

Now that's open, let's move inside. Remove glove box door and base. 7mm socket and more of our favourite clips. Also remove the fabric between the base of the glove box and the floor. It's held in with, you guessed it, more clips.

We then need to remove the device that secures the floor carpet to the firewall fabric. It just unscrews, the photo below is with it taken off:
02.jpg

Now just behind the upper part of that carpet you will find a grommet. That leads to the cavity between the cabin air filter and the outer body panel. Take the grommet out. I then drilled a 12mm hole in the grommet, and fed the wires I wanted to pass through the grommet. Here's a pic of the grommet before taken out, it was really hard to get a good one.
03.jpg

Now you can simply feed your cable through and grab it down into the wheel arch, then through the gaps into the engine bay. See below pics:
04.jpg
05.jpg

I hope this is of help to someone! It took me ages to work out how to do it without drilling through the firewall.

Last edited:

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Well done i also have been wanting to run some wires to the engine bay without drilling i was thinking of running them through where the sound tube goes through the firewall I will have a better look this weekend . I hate to think how long this took you to find that way through. If you don't mind me asking what are the wires for ?

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Well done i also have been wanting to run some wires to the engine bay without drilling i was thinking of running them through where the sound tube goes through the firewall I will have a better look this weekend . I hate to think how long this took you to find that way through. If you don't mind me asking what are the wires for ?
Mine's a s1 I dont have the MSE. Took me about an hour to find a way through I'd say. But I had looked many times before and just gave up. Logic dictates the most room to be able to get in and look is near the driver's & passenger's footwell, so started there and found the grommets. Used a borescope to look through it and saw light, noticed the mesh pattern of the wiper scuttle and went from there!

The wires will be used for gauges, just a bit of a fun side project. Water & oil temp and oil pressure. More for cosmetics than any application to be honest!