Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CAI for 202 carby?

The90kwBeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive Series 2
Hello all again,

I've been thinking - is it possible to buy/make a CAI for a 202 carby and would there be any benefit being a carburettor (CAI are all for EFIs, or so i have seen)? Looking at Holden's air cleaner design, it's pretty stupid - the pipe is pointing at the battery (kudos to the engineer who thought of that design) and all it would suck is hot air and battery labels up.

Problem is there isn't anywhere really for some sort of pipe to go through to the front of the car upon quick inspection and because of the length of the pipe of the air cleaner assembly, you can't chuck on a pipe that points downwards. Any ideas?

The only thing I have thought of (and it is a bit of a crazy idea) would be to swivel the air cleaner assembly around 90 degrees so it faces the rear of the car, then attach some sort of pipe that goes to the rear of the engine bay, cut a hole in the sheet metal in front of the area below the airvents/wiper motors then duct the pipe up to those airvents (the only place to access cold air I think). Quite a quest for cold air but I've got nothing...

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Ive noticed a gape on the left side on my car near the grill, you could make some pipe to slot in there and joins over the reocket cover to the air cleaner.

ps. kudos to the maker of it lol! im with ya!

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Tthere would be a small benefit making something similar to a v8 cold air tray. There is room if you see how a vk efi setup is there's a bit of room next to the raidator.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
have a look at a stock 2850 VH they have a cold air setup std, ill take some pics of one for you tomorrow

Rob

The90kwBeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive Series 2
After posting this thread, I did a search for this topic and found the exact same question asked and got the exact same reply like yours Dr Bob. Might have a looksee at the wreckers tomorrow to pick up an air cleaner assembly and pipe from a 2.85. Interesting how the 2.85 had the pipe, but the 3.3 didn't...

Cheers for offering to take pics too Dr Bob. Will be interesting to see where Holden actually put the pipe - maybe next to the battery or something?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
VH Cold Air Intake

here is one, only got 1 pic then the camera went flat...:ranting:

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Wicked, how did the owner come across that part? is it factory or custom? form another car?

82VH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore 202
there was a CAI on the 1.9 (4) and the 2.85 (6) for the VH models. Look for the setup from the 1.9 because of the lower engine bay temp the rubber hose is in usable condition, where all the sixs I've come across are brittle and useless.

you can see a setup here.

http://gallery.oldholden.com/82vh/

(if the site is up)

I'm going to put in more pictures (one day). not really more power, but better economy and smoother in hot weather.

P.S. lots of old carby cars came with CAI, my nieces 1978 corona has got one

82VH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore 202
Factory CAI

there was a CAI on the 1.9 (4) and the 2.85 (6) for the VH models. Look for the setup from the 1.9 because of the lower engine bay temp the rubber hose is in usable condition, where all the sixs I've come across are brittle and useless.

you can see a setup here.

http://gallery.oldholden.com/82vh/

(if the site is up)

I'm going to put in more pictures (one day). not really more power, but better economy and smoother in hot weather.

P.S. lots os old carby cars came with CAI, my nieces 1978 corona has got one

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Nice mate, im going to get myself one of those! :yeah:

I've seen the air cleanr before on a VH 2.85 but it didnt have the hose on it :p

Cheers!

ps. should be good if u live in a cold area, like early in the mornings "3-4am" should gain 4kw in suction, i know having the 3.3 air cleaner off u gain that much. But that design and pipe is much better ! and your enviroment would count..