Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Alloytec] CAI V6 ( VZ for me )

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
Hmmmm

Mace spacers definitely keep the intake charge cooler from the manifold , I have the 25 mm ones on the SV 6 , and the Mace CAI as well , be aware though that the black engine covers don't fit with the 25 mm insulators . I'm still not sure on the wrap for the intake tube , as when it does get hot , it will keep the heat in as well .

Interesting thought ..
The intake tube is insulated , but dont forget , it has air flowing though it ..
So if the tube is insulated from the outside , then the greatest influence will be the ambient air temperature flowing through the pipe ..
A little like home insulation if you will ..
And dont forget , its all about not heating the air , but trying to maintain as close to ambient as possible ..
As there is a lot of BAD ( warm ) air flowing through the radiator ( what Im insulating the pipe from ) .

Anyhow , as I pulled into the driveway this afternoon , 10.91/100 ( City ) as reported by trip computer ( millage ) Fuel = Regular !
Bare in mind , I dont think insulating the intake pipe is going to hurt in any way what so ever , its not like its going to rob you of power or fuel economy ( So there is no down side )
It may possibly be a waste of time , but one that wont bite you ... ( Possibly a little like painting a racing stripe on your car = Whats the harm ? )
Then again , in theory , it should have a positive effect ( How much ? ) Infinitesimal to measurable ?
I cant say since Im not doing this scientifically ..

The proper way I guess would be to drive 1000km , see what the AVG fuel economy is , then wrap the induction pipe and drive the 1000km again ..
Then insulate the airbox and drive another 1000Km ,
Put on the MACE spacer , drive another 1000km ,

Seriously , I dont have the scratch to drive 4000km to do it some what scientifically .
For some one who has had their car for a long while , knows what the car does .. They could try wrapping the induction tube and see what happens ..
Im in my 4th week of owning this car , so when I saw 10.91/100 pulling into the driveway , yeah ! I really wanted this VZ to do 10L per 100 around town ..
I will see how low it goes , if it stops dropping . Then insulate the top of the airbox .

This is a no harm no foul mod ... ( the million $ question is - How well it works - and ATM Im not the one to answer that question )

Last edited:

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
Ok looks like I bottomed out @ 10.91 / 100 ...
Lots of stop start driving = 11.11 to 11.21 / 100
SO I have a base figure to play with , just waiting for the insulation material for the airbox ... Then see what happens ..

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
2gy7i3s.jpg

Ok , the Airbox Lid has been insulated , dont know how good it is ( ? ) , but it has been done ..
Im going to do a second wrap on the induction pipe , I have some aluminium insulation tape on the way ...

I was thinking , why not just make a foam insulation cover for the lid ( ? ) , oh well something to think about for latter on