Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CAI worth it?

lukeyVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Executive 2
Hi people, was wondering if anyone could shed some light :wax: i got a 04 vy exec 2, completely stock, part from extractors, twin highflow cats, 2 mufflers.. i was looking at getting a OTRCAI done but ive been getting told it does **** all.. i was quoted $495 a few weeks ago to get one done, is that too much? considering all the pieces would probably just bolt on like the factory ones, or would there be any welding needed for the metal scoop?

Thanks.

Last edited:

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
The CAI is a straight replacement and does do a bit for the V6 from what I've heard and people have been happy with it but imo it's not worth the money unless you plan on serious power mods like a supercharger.

lukeyVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Executive 2
Cheers for the replies, ok eventually if i can save up enough for a supercharger or turbo (they do turbos for ecotech dont they?) ill get one.. Im unsure on the price for a supercharger, its around the $2500 mark isnt it?

Thanks.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
$500 odd is abit much for the minimal gain a CAI will give on a N/A V6. The factory snorkel is quite good at low power levels so a higher flowing air filter ($70) would be justifiable IMO. Just don't over oil it too much as the oil can coat the MAF wires and give inaccurate readings.

Might pay to open the corner of the airbox closest to the passenger side indicator with a 3 inch hole. This area is furthest away from the engine and gets mostly air from the gaps around the headlight/ bumper.

I cut mine out with a stanley knife

lukeyVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Executive 2
Might pay to open the corner of the airbox closest to the passenger side indicator with a 3 inch hole. This area is furthest away from the engine and gets mostly air from the gaps around the headlight/ bumper.

I cut mine out with a stanley knife

^I might give that a shot ey! seen a guide on this forum somewhere, and thanks for the reply. maybe i should postpone the cai till i get forced induction..

Ross D.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
you can notice the difference with the OTR CAI. i have one on my vs and i've dont the 2 hole mod to my air box. when ism sitting on 80 with my brother beside i just slowly start pulling away. he has a stock vs v6 ute, i have the same car with with an exhaust also. so they do make a difference but not much. if you do get one get the one from holden. cost me $56 for both bits.

lukeyVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY Executive 2
you can notice the difference with the OTR CAI. i have one on my vs and i've dont the 2 hole mod to my air box. when ism sitting on 80 with my brother beside i just slowly start pulling away. he has a stock vs v6 ute, i have the same car with with an exhaust also. so they do make a difference but not much. if you do get one get the one from holden. cost me $56 for both bits.

Hi mate, but what exactly did you get from them? The ss snorkel and a new air filter guard? or does it come with a scoop? kinda confused sorry.