Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calais 6ltr fuel

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Hi Geoff, I've always been under the impression that E85 burns faster, so more l/100 km.
But I could well be wrong, so would be interested to hear what you experience.
BTW - was the E85 at Dee Why United?
E85 has less energy than petrol so you have to put approximately 1.6 times the amount of e85 than you would petrol. e85 has really good anti knock so you can run more timing ,compression and or boost as most turbo /supercharged are power limited by detonation but even na cars are pulling timing out of engine . E85 good for power not so good for fuel economy but if car is set up to suit you can get reasonable fuel economy and great power. Well that's my uneducated take on it anyway

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
compression is king. much more efficient combustion means more power or less fuel for same power.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Indeed, along with today's price of 189.9 at the handful of United stations in Perth that sell it, they can keep it.

Damm! Didn't realise it was so bloody expensive...:eek:

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
E85 has less energy than petrol so you have to put approximately 1.6 times the amount of e85 than you would petrol. e85 has really good anti knock so you can run more timing ,compression and or boost as most turbo /supercharged are power limited by detonation but even na cars are pulling timing out of engine . E85 good for power not so good for fuel economy but if car is set up to suit you can get reasonable fuel economy and great power. Well that's my uneducated take on it anyway
Yep, never sure what Monstar/Pirate was on about in the past.
Alcohol based fuels have low energy density and carry water since they are unable to have water fully separated from them.
I am unsure why they would be used on a street car, unless much lower priced to account for their lower energy output per litre. Which they aren't.
Mostly based on helping political mates in NSW, in order to look after the sugar industry.
But what would I know, I only studied chemical and mechanical engineering.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I believe it is significantly cheaper over east.

I wouldn't know, have never actually seen an E85 bowser at any of the United's I've been too.
Our local Caltex used to have a Flex Fuel bowser, but it was removed about 2 years ago.

Last edited:

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Yep, never sure what Monstar/Pirate was on about in the past.
Alcohol based fuels have low energy density and carry water since they are unable to have water fully separated from them.
I am unsure why they would be used on a street car, unless much lower priced to account for their lower energy output per litre. Which they aren't.
Mostly based on helping political mates in NSW, in order to look after the sugar industry.
But what would I know, I only studied chemical and mechanical engineering.
run cooler with boost is one reason. pirate has his compression significantly raised with engine work and hence needed ethanol which ran much more economically coupled with VVT and AFM/DOD. A big key is price at the pump compared to petty.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
run cooler with boost is one reason. pirate has his compression significantly raised with engine work and hence needed ethanol which ran much more economically coupled with VVT and AFM/DOD. A big key is price at the pump compared to petty.
yea pirate was getting around 6L/100 on ethanol so i wouldnt complain with that as u would be lucky to get a 6L engine on petrol down to that level even tuned

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
I believe it is significantly cheaper over east.
No it's not.
Especially considering the lower usage per litre. (energy density).