Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calais climate control on 'AUTO' throws to demister when uphill grade ?? vacuum issue

Hazzzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Caprice
This would mean the dealer is selling a new faulty actuator the same as mine! Anyway I have purchased a new vacuum solenoid pack and will see if that fixes my problem. I will update when I have a result shortly.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
How much did they rip you on that part?

Hazzzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Caprice
$92 delivered on fleabay. Haven't got it yet.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Ahh ok, I thought you'd purchased it from Holden.

Hazzzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Caprice
It took a while to get around to fitting the solenoid pack and guess what. Not fixed. The electrical plug was getting rusty anyway so the new one got some waterproofing treatment. Don't know where the moisture came from. They pack up sooner or later is what I am telling myself to justify the $92.
So next step will be to follow galah's advice and replace the actuators as was the first plan! Anyone know if the two are the same and is there only the two of them? Anyway replacing both will be the next step. Just want to know if there is only two that you can get to from the drivers side kick panel. I have seen a schematic which shows three actuators. The third is for recirculate or fresh. I could only see two when I looked last time. The schematic I found was for a vy berlina. Do these have the same climate control as a wk caprice?
Rob

Last edited:

Hazzzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Caprice
Ok so my problem is fixed finally. I didn't replace the actuators. It turned out to be a split in the hose on the manifold side of the one way valve ( I already replaced the one way valve but didn't notice the split at the time). I cut about 2 cm off and joined a new bit of hose a bit longer to it so the one way valve is away from the motor now. Worth checking if anyone has this problem.
Rob

hobbsy4

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Calais 5.7L Sedan
Old thread, but I just found the actuator closest to the driver's footwell was leaking. With the engine on, it doesn't plunge in all the way and there is an audible leak.

Same symptoms as above; aircon turning to demister. But I have no footwell aircon at all, and the idle seems rougher than I remember. I've been getting dtc c3459 now and then on idle, but not sure if it's related.

The vacuum distributor pack in the passenger footwell appeared fine.

Simon Fraser

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Thanks for all the help. Fixed my VY Berlina. I bought a pair of actuators which I pulled out of a wreck. Good training for when I came to my car.
After pulling the faulty part if I put it in water and blew into the tube.. bubbles came out. I then pulled it apart out of curiosity. You can see the little tear in the diaphram.
IMG_20210205_132923.jpg