Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calais front seats...

Stefan Nowak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Calais V Sportwagon
Took the car to the dealer, I'm still covered with the 3 month statutory used car warranty. They're ordering the parts and sorting it.

Apparently the original clips were plastic and would warp and fail, the replace them with metal versions that are fail safe... apparently.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Took the car to the dealer, I'm still covered with the 3 month statutory used car warranty. They're ordering the parts and sorting it.

Apparently the original clips were plastic and would warp and fail, the replace them with metal versions that are fail safe... apparently.
Good result and a known issue.
I never lifted mine right up like yours but I recall only one side was loose. My other car with Sportech fabric stuff (or whatever it's called) didn't become loose.
As far as I can feel and see, the plastic clips were a different design and "flip" around the base frame in an overcentre method. The metal clips are less elegant but are brutally effective. The plastic clips were still there. I tried to reattach the plastic clips, but the dealer said to bring it in for the remediation under warranty.
My leatherette seats are as solid as after 3 years since the work was done.
As I said above, still feeling the love but still concerned my next cars will be Euro or Asian and will rely on rpm and 15 ratio gearboxes instead of cc's.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
They must of changed the plastic retainers as I have these in my redline and after 2.5 years they are still attached. I wasn't a fan of the metal clips used in the Calais as I thought that was a bit of a botch job.

VF_cal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais

I’m having the same issue with my VF1 Calais which I just purchased. one side lifts up. Only 41k and no warranty.

went to a custom interior trimmer and he said it can happen if the leather shrinks due to it not being moisturised and conditioned.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
I’m having the same issue with my VF1 Calais which I just purchased. one side lifts up. Only 41k and no warranty.

went to a custom interior trimmer and he said it can happen if the leather shrinks due to it not being moisturised and conditioned.

Take it to the dealer mate. They should be able to fix it up using the revised metal clips as reported on this thread.

BTW, if your issue is exactly the same as that described by OP, then it should not be due to the leather shrinking. I think the interior guy in giving a load of horse manure!!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@VF_cal I'd have a discussion with Holden as a seat, being a safety item, must last for much more than a handfull or two of years. The seat cusion icoming away from the base is a known issue which should have ment that this faulyt should have been corrected years ago while under warranty. Since it hasn't been corrected, Holden should handle thai as good will and fix it gratis.

If Holden wont fix it gratis, and you bought it from a dealer, get the selling dealer to fix it under your ACL statutory warranty rights (which don't have an end date like factory warranty).

As is, the vehicle isn't roadworthy so it's a definate defect that one shouldn't have to put up with on a car that has only done 41,000kms...

PS: the custom interior trimmer should have know of these defective Holden clips and suggested you go ream the dealer/Holden for a free repair but businesses, all businesses, don't like to let you know of your ACL statutory rights... and they don't like to loose potential work...

(If you bought the car privately, you dont get ACL statutory protection but Holden could be coerced into providing a good will repair especially if it's been serviced by their dealer network)

VF_cal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
Thanks guys
So I went into my local Holden dealership today...

I mentioned that since it was a known issue it should of been sorted under warranty at some point in the past.

The kid at the front desk wouldn’t have a bar of it lol. I’ve never relied on receiving good will from dealers, they didn’t do much to change my opinion today

result: the kid basically told me he will need one of the technicians to “diagnose” which he then casually mentioned that it comes with a $160 charge...

I told him that the clips just need to be replaced with metal clips and that this is a known issue, he disagreed and that was that.

so I’m booked in for next week to get a “diagnosis” then they will decide if it can be fixed on the spot or they have to order parts. I don’t mind paying the ridiculous diagnosis fee so long I can get this issue sorted.

does anyone have a part number these metal clips?

I’m a ford man, this is my first Holden - I must say, disappointed with the quality of the leather... just feels tacky and cheap.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Speak to the dealer principle and to Holden customer care before the car goes in...
The attitude of the chap at the desk leaves a lot to be desired. Sadly such attitudes are normal...

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
does anyone have a part number these metal clips?

Try part number 11611745. These are just small metal clips which I think would rip the leather in time. I had this performed on my first VF Calais V and thought is was a **** repair fix under warranty. All dealer could say bring it back if it rips the leather seat. I sold the car at 4 years old so don't know how it would be now. It's a very easy fix to do yourself as I re-did it after the dealer did it to fix the clips in better places than what they did.