Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calais head unit dramas

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
Not too much of a worry really but quite an annoyance I have been having with my head unit lately. It seems to be VERY sensitive to the slightest scratches and dust on cd's, and for some reason all my cd's play fine for at least the first half of the cd and then start to skip and jump all over the place. It was even unable to read a brand new CD that I had bought from the shops the other day... I thought I had bought a dud until I took it home and worked fine on my home stereo.

So I'm just wondering if anyone else has had any similar issues with their 6 stacker head units? I'm thinking of just buying one of them cd lens cleaners and hoping that helps.

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Nope no problems with mine. You could try a lens cleaner but I don't think they are much good. You are probably better off getting a new unit if it keeps having problems.

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nope no problems with mine. You could try a lens cleaner but I don't think they are much good. You are probably better off getting a new unit if it keeps having problems.

Obviously I'd rather avoid having to replace the unit... might try a lens cleaner and see how it goes.

Kal123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 && 180sx
You don't really have many options, try the lens cleaner, if this doesn't work, the easiest thing would be to purchase a new 6stacker?

Can pick a Black6 up for about $200 on ebay.

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
If I have to replace the head unit then I'll be doing it properly and getting a good quality aftermarket one with LCD screen and DVD player.. then maybe throw in a couple of headrest screens for the kids to watch movies in the back. Unfortunately that all costs money... that I don't have too much of at the moment. One day...

brods2151

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Sv6
My head unit started playing up yesterday, driving home from work every single cd "Could not be read". Turned the head unit off and on and they all worked. Wierd.

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
Had the same problem with my 6 stacker Blaupunkt. The laser reader becomes problematic, particularly on hot days and after about track 10 or 12.

There is a guy called Sonny from Simply Electronics M. 0412 473-348.

He will go to you (in Sydney), remove your head unit and replace the CD stacker unit. Cost me about $240 but there is a one year warranty and you don't have to worry about buying a dodgy unit and having security PIN issues.

Job took less than an hour. Cheers.