Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calais question

the camel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais sedan
Howdy everyone. Brand new to the site and not very knowledgeable when it comes to cars. Looking for an answer to my dilemma.
Driving the other day and I had to brake reasonably firmly at a set of lights. On takeoff I heard an increasingly loud knocking from the front left of the car as if something was loose there. I pulled over to see a steady stream of brownish water pooling into the gutter. I filled the overflow tank but it just leaked out. I took the cap off and filled the radiator and this seems to be staying in the radiator as the car is not overheating at all and I drove a lot yesterday by necessity.
It's fair to say I'm confused. Is this something I should look into immediately? What the hell happened and why is the car running fine now? I'll send a photo ASAP.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Brownish water is all WRONG.
When did last do a radiator flush and fill with CORRECT fluid?
Depending on model it needs to be either green or red. It’s in the books and follow them as mixing coolant is a massive no no no.
Have you had the bonnet up and taken a proper look at the overflow bottle? Is it cracked or broken?

the camel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais sedan
Brownish water is all WRONG.
When did last do a radiator flush and fill with CORRECT fluid?
Depending on model it needs to be either green or red. It’s in the books and follow them as mixing coolant is a massive no no no.
Have you had the bonnet up and taken a proper look at the overflow bottle? Is it cracked or broken?

Thanks for the reply Gossie. I have just been given the car by a mate...2 or 3 weeks ago...(it was his father's car and had been sitting around for 8 months). so the other night was the first time I had a good look under the hood. I wasn't kidding when I said I know nothing about cars. I'll have a good look tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks again.