Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calais V Sportwagon Sound System

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Recently purchased another VF to add to my collection, a MY16 Calais V Sportwagon. Nice car just a few things that I don’t like, one being the brakes (discussed this in another thread) the next thing is the sound system. No bass and sounds pretty bland compared to the BOSE in my Redline sedan. I can buy a BOSE system out of a wrecked sedan, but question is can I fit it to my sportwagon? Are there other options available to get me more bass like I have in my Redline with the BOSE?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Recently purchased another VF to add to my collection, a MY16 Calais V Sportwagon. Nice car just a few things that I don’t like, one being the brakes (discussed this in another thread) the next thing is the sound system. No bass and sounds pretty bland compared to the BOSE in my Redline sedan. I can buy a BOSE system out of a wrecked sedan, but question is can I fit it to my sportwagon? Are there other options available to get me more bass like I have in my Redline with the BOSE?
The Bose system uses an amp to power all the speakers in the Redline/Calais V sedan vehicles. I remember the wagons had **** sounding stereos because they did not have an amp and only used the headunit to power the speakers. You would have to find a location to put a sub too. I added a sub to my redline in the boot with a subwoofer box.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Bose system uses an amp to power all the speakers in the Redline/Calais V sedan vehicles. I remember the wagons had **** sounding stereos because they did not have an amp and only used the headunit to power the speakers. You would have to find a location to put a sub too. I added a sub to my redline in the boot with a subwoofer box.
thanks anthony, so it should a relatively easy plug and play job where the existing speakers are, it would just be a matter of trying to find a spot to fit the speakers that would be on the rear parcel shelf in a sedan to locate somewhere in a wagon? and as for the amp given its a Calais V would the plugs be there for a sportwagon or not?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
The high end radios used the low level output to the amp in the boot of the sedan.

Best thing to do is get your own amp and speakers and wire them up.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
The high end radios used the low level output to the amp in the boot of the sedan.

Best thing to do is get your own amp and speakers and wire them up.
so do you or anyone know if the amp would be able to be connected up in the sportwagon or is it a too hard job?
what was the reason behind holden not fitting the BOSE in the wagon?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
so do you or anyone know if the amp would be able to be connected up in the sportwagon or is it a too hard job?
what was the reason behind holden not fitting the BOSE in the wagon?
It would intrude into the load space, which makes sense not to do in a wagon. I'm moderately sure that in the sedan the sub goes in the parcel-shelf.
They could have fitted a different unit in a different place, but it'd have increased the build-cost of those wagons even further so they didn't ... it shouldn't be hard for YOU to do the same, where Holden didn't want to spend an extra $50 most of us with SportWagons would happily spend many multiples of that. :)

Lots of ways around it, but probably the simplest approach would be to use quality efficient speakers to replace the stockers, and then add a powered sub unit under one (or both) front seats. Or if there's another spot to tuck one in, I don't know if there's unused space under the rear seat for example? The units which fit inside the spare wheel are kinda interesting, but I don't know how optimal they are nor whether they displace the tools in a VF.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I'm moderately sure that in the sedan the sub goes in the parcel-shelf.

The factory amp in my VE is co-located with the battery.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The factory amp in my VE is co-located with the battery.
I've not seen the BOSE system in the VF sedan, but if it's like a lot of the "premium" systems that got put into Foldens, it likely had something like an 8" sub with a free-air driver which needs to not be tucked away inside something.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
The Amp in the VF is on the drivers side rear side panel opposite to the battery side.

The amp has front and rear inputs with front, rear and subwoofer outputs but require unique plugs to wire this amp up. The level input is low level input from the head unit.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I've not seen the BOSE system in the VF sedan, but if it's like a lot of the "premium" systems that got put into Foldens, it likely had something like an 8" sub with a free-air driver which needs to not be tucked away inside something.

Subs are in the parcel shelf.