Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calais V - V6 vs V8

KLoNe

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.2L V8 Phantom VF2 Calais-V
Hey guys, I've had a '03 Mitsu Verada for nearly 10 years now and it's been a great car; hasn't missed a beat but she's getting real long in the tooth and I'm looking to put it out to pasture and getting something new(er).
I'm not much of a car buff, but I know the VF's are a very reliable vehicle and I like luxury sedans so I'm looking at the Calais V in black.

Ideally I'd like a late model VF2, they look nicer than the VF but there's not too much of a difference; good value is more of a priority.

In all honesty, the V6 would be fine, but I keep having this voice in my head to go for the V8 - I've never treated myself to a real nice toy and I'm in a state of my life where funds aren't exactly tight.

Do you guys have any opinions or recommendations? Budget: $30-$40; hopefully closer to the former.

V6 vs V8?
VF vs VF2?
6.0L vs 6.2L
Were there any mechanical changes over the years other than just the series change?

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
I wouldn't go that far to say Commodores are "reliable" cars.. Based on the some members' experiences here. But VF2 V8s are definitely exciting and enjoyable, unfortunately it is hard to find a low mileage one in the low $30k. Dare I suggest a Toyota Camry/Aurion? For reliability and fuel economy instead of a V8.

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
VF2 6.2l for the win!
+2
If you won't to treat yourself, and don't mind the bit extra cost.
series 2 do delete the cd player, but I think the sound from the bi modal exhaust makes up for it.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
You might struggle to get a series 2 calais v in v8 for 30k.

I have a black series 1 calais v with v8 and love it. I went series 1 as I wanted the cream interior and prefer the look of the series 1 calais.

I would go the V8 if your budget extends

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I'd go for a VF Calais V V8. You'll save a bucket load of money over the VF2. If you look around, you'll probably find one with an after market exhaust too. The VF has a few goodies the VF2 missed out on too.
E.g CD/DVD, rear cup holders in the seat bottom, titanium interior, which I am a big fan of.
Consider a VF Redline too. Comes with HUD, aiuto rain sensing wipers, lane depature warning, collision avoidance, Brembo brakes up front, FE3 suspension, stagger forged wheels, great handling and performance modes. It has most of the same luxo stuff the Calais V has too.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Wait a bit a buy new Mazda 6..
They will come with 2.5L turbo

NewbC4KE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV M6 & Monaco M4 125cc 2 Stroke Go Kart
Hey guys, I've had a '03 Mitsu Verada for nearly 10 years now and it's been a great car; hasn't missed a beat but she's getting real long in the tooth and I'm looking to put it out to pasture and getting something new(er).
I'm not much of a car buff, but I know the VF's are a very reliable vehicle and I like luxury sedans so I'm looking at the Calais V in black.

Ideally I'd like a late model VF2, they look nicer than the VF but there's not too much of a difference; good value is more of a priority.

In all honesty, the V6 would be fine, but I keep having this voice in my head to go for the V8 - I've never treated myself to a real nice toy and I'm in a state of my life where funds aren't exactly tight.

Do you guys have any opinions or recommendations? Budget: $30-$40; hopefully closer to the former.

V6 vs V8?
VF vs VF2?
6.0L vs 6.2L
Were there any mechanical changes over the years other than just the series change?

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

Get a V8 and enjoy.

End of.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Wait a bit a buy new Mazda 6..
They will come with 2.5L turbo
Yes I read same today, keeping in mind the post is for less than $40K I'd say VF V8 as per Cudas post, with a budget up to $40K that will get you a very nice VF Calais V V8 or a Redline, there might only be a few around but there is Calais V Redline as well as SSV Redline. Otherwise in V6, I would think a VF II Calais V shouldn't be too hard to find in budget.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Get the 8.
VF series 1 are bargain buys compared to the series 2.
Probably the only notable difference is the motor and exhaust. So if you can live without the extra .2 cubes and the bimodal exhaust (and braging rights) you'll save 10k.
Take them both for a drive. That'll be the best way to decide if the series 2 is worth the extra money to you.

40k is around the starting price of low k series 2 so i guess the amount you want to spend puts you in the series 1 market anyway. Both great cars.