Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calais V - V6 vs V8

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
There’s no reason to get a VFII over a VF if going V6, is there?
Calais would get all the widgets in VF that’s in VFII, wouldn’t it? And nothing powertrain or suspension was changed?
Pretty much. Although KLoNe did say he or she prefers the look of the VF2.

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
I'd go for a VF Calais V V8. You'll save a bucket load of money over the VF2. If you look around, you'll probably find one with an after market exhaust too. The VF has a few goodies the VF2 missed out on too.
E.g CD/DVD, rear cup holders in the seat bottom, titanium interior, which I am a big fan of.
Consider a VF Redline too. Comes with HUD, aiuto rain sensing wipers, lane depature warning, collision avoidance, Brembo brakes up front, FE3 suspension, stagger forged wheels, great handling and performance modes. It has most of the same luxo stuff the Calais V has too.

One warning on VF Redline is the suspension is noticably harsher then a Calais-V, particularly in series 1. If you decide to cross shop the two models, make sure you drive both to see if the FE3 setup in the Redline is ok for you. I love my Redline, but if I lived somewhere like Sydney and drove in mostly city traffic, I would probably prefer a softer setup on a daily car.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
There’s no reason to get a VFII over a VF if going V6, is there?
Calais would get all the widgets in VF that’s in VFII, wouldn’t it? And nothing powertrain or suspension was changed?
and in Calais they still look the same

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
Had a Calais V6 and currently, have a Calais V V8 series 2 - both great wagons, but the V8 is something special to drive and much quieter than the raspy V6 at moderate to high revs.
Never thought I would buy a V8 since I had assumed unnecessary power and slightly higher fuel consumption - for the extra cost I'm so glad I did. My opinion is the Australian built SIDI V6 is far inferior to the non-SIDI LS3 and if this purchase is intended as a keeper, the V8 is a good way to go. Slightly higher running costs but worth it, including for added likely longevity - suggest you test drive both an if able go for a Series 2 preferable 'V' hence the V8 option (a number of 'issues' have been resolved in the Series 2 model). For most of the driving time, the LS3 seems to be just idling on. However, love the engine/exhaust being quiet to drive (until the right foot goes down hard) - I can't compare aftermarket exhausts, but having a loud GMH well-designed exhaust without droning when cruising is another enjoyable plus in the Series 2 V8.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
One warning on VF Redline is the suspension is noticably harsher then a Calais-V, particularly in series 1. If you decide to cross shop the two models, make sure you drive both to see if the FE3 setup in the Redline is ok for you. I love my Redline, but if I lived somewhere like Sydney and drove in mostly city traffic, I would probably prefer a softer setup on a daily car.
I’d agree to test-drive before buying, as with any vehicle; but our VF1 SSVR is used almost exclusively in Sydney traffic, it’s fine.
I did find myself gritting my teeth with mechanical-sympathy on a spirited drive up to the Hunter Valley via Buckety & Wollombi; I’ve since driven the same road in a current-model Rustang ‘vert, and the softer suspension doesn’t hold-on as well (even with teeth-clenching mid-corner bumps which made the interior shake in the SSVR) but you’re not as concerned with the longevity of the car with the soggier Rustang with crappier braking.

Witto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calsis V Sportswagon
I have a Series 1 V8, couldn't be happier. Even better with the mods. I've driven a SV6, and no surprises, the V8 wins hands down

HemiMagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport
Coming back to the OP's original post "Ideally I'd like a late model VF2, they look nicer than the VF but there's not too much of a difference; good value is more of a priority."
On this basis and given budget it is really a VF II V6 that fits that statement best. Also considering the OP has had current car for near 10 years, the newer the car you can buy if you want to retain a car for around 10 years the better. Advice to the OP is usual whether V6 or V8 (especially V6) make sure you keep that car well serviced, preferably more frequent than specified 12 months 15,000 Km, We probably don't know yet with latest builds of V6, but the possible timing chain issue with the V6 I think hasn't been solved. If buying V6 you would just have to factor into the decision that sometime down the track you may need to replace timing chain. Personally I think the SIDI 3.6 V6's go quite well and are quite a good thing, just the timing chain is the main negative that comes to mind for me.

And the poor breathing on the right hand side bank

Toyadore T5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF V Calais
I have a VF CalaisV 6.0L. It has the AFM system that shuts down 4 of the 8 cylinders at cruise. The best fuel economy I’ve achieved so far is 6L/100km. The VFII with the 6.2L doesn’t have cylinder deactivation.