Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calais V - V6 vs V8

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Go the V6. Drove to Adelaide from Melbourne in the mid-summer heat with a/c on the whole way, a full boot and the whole family on board... it used 51 litres to do 760km.

They're a great engine. The only thing that annoys me is that it sounds like a sewing machine. Otherwise, it has better take off and is much smoother than my other car which has an LS1 V8.

They fixed that in the LFX engines which were first fitted to late VEII models... a long time ago.

As a comparison, I did the same distance on a trip to the Gold Coast in the SS, also with the car full of people and luggage, and got there without stopping for fuel. Not sure of how manly litres it used doing the 760kms, fuel light was on and i got fuel once there so i would guess about 65 litres? Happy to pay the extra $20 in fuel on a 760k trip and get to listen to that 8 cylinder symphony the whole way :cool:

ellisjuan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Calais 5.7
Happy to pay the extra $20 in fuel on a 760k trip and get to listen to that 8 cylinder symphony the whole way :cool:
Right, but that's $20 each way for a single trip... that'll certainly add up over the life of the car.

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Right, but that's $20 each way for a single trip... that'll certainly add up over the life of the car.
It will. But what you get in exchange for those dollars is pure enjoyment.

To me it's simple. If a V8 doesn't float your boat or you're concerned with fuel costs, get a V6... and forever wonder if you did the right thing. :)

For comparison, my LS3 is consuming 12.5l/100km over an average speed of 48kph. BP98 RON fuel. Manual transmission. Just over 10,000km on the clock. I 'drive for enjoyment' 50% of the time and cruise the other 50%.
On big trips like those mentioned above, it drinks less than 10l/100km.
Holden's official fuel consumption figure over combination Urban and Extra Urban use is 12.6l/100km.

Last edited:

ellisjuan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Calais 5.7
It is possible to enjoy a V6 :) ... 210kw/350Nm is a good amount of power & torque. They're a very responsive engine.
For comparison, my LS3 is consuming 12.5l/100km over an average speed of 48kph. BP98 RON fuel. Manual transmission. Just over 10,000km on the clock. I 'drive for enjoyment' 50% of the time and cruise the other 50%.
Holden's official fuel consumption figure over combination Urban and Extra Urban use is 12.6l/100km.
I'm almost in the same situation (I bought my V6 in Nov last year and have just ticked over 10,000km)... but sitting at 8.9l/100km... and I use 91RON. That said, fuel is just one part of the additional cost. V8s also cost more to buy and maintain, and are not necessarily worth more at sale time.

All that said, I'm not against V8s... I have one as well... ;)

Last edited:

JamieVYVF

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SSV
Is it true that the series 1 has the better seats ? I have a 2014 ssv manual and it is a great car i love it it has the cream touches in the dash and door trims and seats sunroof and the Bose speakers with only 28000 ks when i got it it truly is a great car cannot fault it fuel economy is great on the open road but if i floor it in town watch the fuel disappear but i love the sound as it has a x force 2.5 cat back with hotdog rears which really help the sound probably even better than the series 2 ls3 bimodel exhaust except i cant turn it down but its not overly loud but sounds great yes the series 1 is no ls3 but at the right price why not of course you will always want more power but these series 1 will cost you your license if not treated with respect and tune and extractors are really not that exspensive if you compare it to a VF gts and add supercharger brakes and better suspension you stll come out out $40000 in front with a faster car its entirely up the the owner cheers fellow and lady Commodore lovers

Last edited:

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
It is possible to enjoy a V6 :) ... 210kw/350Nm is a good amount of power & torque. They're a very responsive engine.

Absolutely... It's a value proposition and everyone's decision will be their own. Personally I struggled with the fuel consumption concern when deciding whether or not to buy the LS3. Don't care now. The motor and transmission match is just TOO much fun. But that's MY value proposition.

I agree you can enjoy a V6 with good power and torque (I've done so for 11+ years). The same can be said for any well sorted motor for that matter.
I have a 2, 4, 6 and 8 cylinder vehicle at the moment. The wife nabs the 4 and the kids nab the 6 for the time being (until I force the kids to buy their own cars next month). :p
I enjoy driving EACH of those vehicles for their individual characteristics. But the 2 and 8 have the MOST character... and THAT for me, is gold. The 4 and 6 are utilitarian by comparison now. And that incidentally, is how they get used. :)

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
When I upgraded from the VS to the VE, my wife asked me why I wanted another V8.

First time she drove it........"oooooh".

Now she gets it.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...

I'm almost in the same situation (I bought my V6 in Nov last year and have just ticked over 10,000km)... but sitting at 8.9l/100km... and I use 91RON. That said, fuel is just one part of the additional cost. V8s also cost more to buy and maintain, and are not necessarily worth more at sale time.

All that said, I'm not against V8s... I have one as well... ;)
Apples with apples, a V8 will always be worth more at sale time.

HemiMagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport

To me it's simple. If a V8 doesn't float your boat or you're concerned with fuel costs, get a V6... and forever wonder if you did the right thing. :)

On big trips like those mentioned above, it drinks less than 10l/100km.

Or get a Hybrid...............

HemiMagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport
When I upgraded from the VS to the VE, my wife asked me why I wanted another V8.

First time she drove it........"oooooh".

Now she gets it.

Mine too, she bought herself a series 1 redline manual